Are there other Additives or Elements that don't show in a VOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This goes back to looking at Amsoil's additive package. If you look at any of there oils, they have a very weak additive package. Hardly any boron, calcium and no moly. They do have a decent amount of ZDDP. So how do they acheive good wear numbers? Is it in the base stock blend? There has to be something else or some other approach to their formulations IMO.

quote:

Amsoil uses oil soluble types of FM's .... Most of these compounds DON'T show up on oil analysis, as they are part of the basestock blend. These "might" include such compounds as organic fatty acids, amides, high molecular weight organic phosphorus and phosphoric acid esters.

Amsoil has told me that the majority of everything does show up in a virgin sample, but a it is possible that a few things don't.

[ January 21, 2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

The people here in general with VERY few exceptions even, don't understand the UOA's
and how the additives or more important perhaps things like Sulfur and Moly and Pot. are ...
Well they don't seem to even know that unless one checks very close (individually with attention) that these things in a mass assembly line style screening will or can be very much thrown off.

As an example I put enough Moly in my PTFE spiked oil to show at or near 120 MAX and 60 low with a mean of at least 80-90 PPM, it did not show up there although I'm sure it's there... Moly is HARD to do and takes careful measurements along with other tricky ones like Sulfur....

But if you wanna understand oil I would suggest a little study on some grease, IMO they go hand in hand, different animals but on the same farm...

Correction after timeout:

quote:

Every metallic compound hosted in the base oil will show up on a UOA.

Should read,

"Every elemental compound hosted in the base oil will show up on a UOA."

quote:

Amsoil has told me that the majority of everything does show up in a virgin sample, but a it is possible that a few things don't.

Every metallic compound hosted in the base oil will show up on a UOA.

There are non-metallic organic chemicals that can be used to reduce friction and wear that doesn't show up and all I can tell you in a general sense is that these are complex amines and esters.

With so much Industrial Espionage being committed by the mainland Chineese, and so many people with Chemical PHD's viewing here, that is all the information I will provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back