Are there more junky semi trucks (than usual) on the interstates?

Is it just me, or are there more class 8 semis on the road, that would have never been on the road just a few years ago?

I made a road trip last weekend, and I have never seen so many junky semis out on the interstates. Every third or fourth semi that I passed, looked like it had just been pulled out of the weeds, was fixed up enough to (assumably) pass a safety inpection, and is now back out on the road.

I don't care about how it looks, I care if the driver can steer it and stop it... and the other essentials like that.

I'm hoping that state officials are noticing the same thing, and are performing some inspections at the scales. The problem is, many of these semis are being used locally enough, that some probably aren't even going past the scales.

If they are local, I wonder if you are seeing farm trucks? Are they hauling grain or produce to a local processor? In that case I would assume they are just dirty from the fields and loading under the chute from the combine. And old because, well, they're farm trucks.

Yep. I commute on Hwy 37 every day. The amount of junky rigs, some of which can't even manage the speed limit, has gone waaaay up. Should be illegal.

If they are local, I wonder if you are seeing farm trucks? Are they hauling grain or produce to a local processor? In that case I would assume they are just dirty from the fields and loading under the chute from the combine. And old because, well, they're farm trucks.
I live in town but a 1/2 block off highway 81 so I see my share of semi's and yes the crappy trucks seem to be local hauling footballs or corn/hay.

the market is hot and people are willing to drive anything, owning a truck already puts you in a better position. i’ve got two drivers running around in 25 year old volvos that should’ve been crushed last decade

you can’t dodge weigh stations easily in a class 8. i passed hundreds in an overweight pickup and never got chased but you’re not getting away with it in a semi. junk trucks don’t go over the road

Last edited:
One big reason that there are so many "junky" trucks on road is because of the diesel emission regulations that went into effect several years ago. The new trucks with new engines that are being produced now are extremely unreliable and very maintenance intensive because of this, not to mention significantly more expensive to purchase. As a result, the trucking companies are repairing/reconditioning/rebuilding the old trucks and keeping them on the road far longer than they have in the past.

years ago i believe it was the Regan admin that pushed the free trade agreement allowing subpar- likely illegal in usa trucks to run out of mexico with similar poorly if at all tained drivers!! in my small town i see many cars that look as they came out of the junk yard, with several prisons in the area friends + relatives suck up the lower cost living, slum lords even advertise in big city papers sucking them in. still a decent place to live but more crime + drugs than ever!!!

truckers are milking every last ounce out of old truck due to cost of new trucks and the emissions systems that have been implemented in recent years. Unless you are a large trucking fleet owing old trucks is probably cheaper and easier to maintain and has less likelihood of leaving you stranded. In theory the emissions compliance is good but in practice the systems are usually faulty and don't last as long as the rest of the rig. They can cost several thousand dollars to repair/replace.

Just my $0.02

Then there are the new(ish) "glider kit trucks":

Yep. Definitely a little nicer than just keeping an old rig running. TBH I'm surprised this loophole hasn't been closed.

Then there are the new(ish) "glider kit trucks":

california throws a fit if you operate a new rig with an old S60. emissions police are a real thing

I don't know how you could make money being an owner operator with a new truck today. There's not enough fleet road side mechanic services to go-round!

The over the road trucks that my employer buys break down constantly. The sleepers average about 250K miles/year. All they seem to buy are basic Freightliner 10spd automatics now. They're total junk by 700K miles.

I haven't noticed more junky semis, but I have noticed more semis on the roads, and I also have noticed more of them driving in the 3rd lane on interstates (the far left lane), which they aren't supposed to do. Semis are supposed to drive in the right two lanes, but since there is no law enforcement on the roads anymore, like everyone else, truckers do whatever the heck they want...

Coming back from Az thru Palm Springs saw a CHP cruiser herding semis over to the far left lane. (y)

california throws a fit if you operate a new rig with an old S60. emissions police are a real thing
It's my understanding that you're only allowed 1000 miles per year in CA if your truck is registered outside of CA and doesn't meet CA emissions. I wouldn't want to test. Those bears are out for blood.

As far as more junky semis... maybe? The most dangerous rigs I've seen are container haulers and the worst looking trailers are always container chassis.

Back