Are there members that Fly RC Aircraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got into 4 channel helicopters for a couple of years but it dwindled off. Would like to try scaled aircraft someday though. Nice fleet JetStar!

Yep!

boeing_737-800_southwest_airlines.jpg

Oh.. wait..
wink.gif

I've flown R/Cs since the mid 70s...I've flown glo fuelers, giant scale gassers, ducted fan, scale, pattern, you name it, I've flown it. The reason I walked away from it is because it's gotten to the point where you can't fly unless you belong to a flying club (unless you own enough land to fly off of your own property, which I don't). Then you have to pay club dues, you have to have AMA insurance, club members are constantly pressuring you to become a club officer or treasure, they want you to participate in club activities, help take care of the flying field and so on...I didn't want to be wasting all of my time with this garbage, I just wanted to fly...so I walked away from the hobby...fast forward to a few years ago...I bought a 3D electric plane...one that I could fly just about anywhere...that was nice, but I wanted something I could walk outside my front door and fly, so I'm now into electric helicopters...they are fun, but I miss flying planes...I just wish there wasn't so much politics involved with the clubs, or there was some place I could fly without having to join a club or deal with the politics...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've flown R/Cs since the mid 70s...I've flown glo fuelers, giant scale gassers, ducted fan, scale, pattern, you name it, I've flown it. The reason I walked away from it is because it's gotten to the point where you can't fly unless you belong to a flying club (unless you own enough land to fly off of your own property, which I don't). Then you have to pay club dues, you have to have AMA insurance, club members are constantly pressuring you to become a club officer or treasure, they want you to participate in club activities, help take care of the flying field and so on...I didn't want to be wasting all of my time with this garbage, I just wanted to fly...so I walked away from the hobby...fast forward to a few years ago...I bought a 3D electric plane...one that I could fly just about anywhere...that was nice, but I wanted something I could walk outside my front door and fly, so I'm now into electric helicopters...they are fun, but I miss flying planes...I just wish there wasn't so much politics involved with the clubs, or there was some place I could fly without having to join a club or deal with the politics...

Wow you've been doing this a while, quite a history.

I don't belong to club for all the reasons you stated above, and a few more. I do carry AMA membership for the insurance. Next year AMA membership goes up to $75.00. I went ahead and renewed early to get the lower rate. After 2016 I may not renew.

I have dabbled with the helicopters over the years. For me they are much more difficult

Wow Grampi...that's quite a lot of experience you've built up there! What about the R/C electric flying wings? Forgot the name of them. Heard some guy from Tx was one of the top pilots about 10-15yrs ago.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: grampi

Wow you've been doing this a while, quite a history.

I don't belong to club for all the reasons you stated above, and a few more. I do carry AMA membership for the insurance. Next year AMA membership goes up to $75.00. I went ahead and renewed early to get the lower rate. After 2016 I may not renew.

I have dabbled with the helicopters over the years. For me they are much more difficult

Flying helis is completely different than flying planes. I basically had to learn all over again...IMO, they are much harder to fly than planes...I am now leaning towards learning how to fly CP choppers, which will be another thing to learn from scratch...they are much harder to fly than the FP birds, which is what I am flying now...

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow Grampi...that's quite a lot of experience you've built up there! What about the R/C electric flying wings? Forgot the name of them. Heard some guy from Tx was one of the top pilots about 10-15yrs ago.

I haven't heard about them...they sound pretty cool though...

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Just finished this one last weekend; 4S 3600 battery, E-Flite power .32 motor, pulls 48A at WOT. This is my largest electric plane so far.

IMG_0851_zpsbvfoevmx.jpg

IMG_0852_zpszqkv4jee.jpg

This one should be a really stable flyer...nice looking plane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back