Are there members that Fly RC Aircraft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, don't see it mentioned often, other than the typical "Drone" discussion. I have a small quadcopter, but can't get real excited about it. I guess since it's not a scale model of anything. Over the years I have sold off all of my nitro stuff and have gone full electric. Brushless motors and Li-Po batteries have revolutionized the hobby. Advances in materials and manufacturing have taken foam construction to new levels in performance and appearance.

Any others out there?

I've long thought it would be a great hobby but never pulled the trigger. Mentioning the technology improvements made me think of 3D printing maybe using a type of foam or other open cell polymer material. When you want to change aircraft, why, you print another model off! Inviting thought.

yep, for a long time. Still nitro on my planes - love the smell - I have some electrics but it just isn't the same. For the quadcopter, I would hate to start 4 separate engines! Electric is the way to go.

I'm thinking about it, I'd like a longer range quad copter with an infrared camera to see what the wildlife is doing at our place, but that's still pretty expensive.
The electric planes look more fun to fly, I think some dog fighting with some tissue streamers would be great fun.

Have about a dozen aircraft and one helicopter and also one heli in the box, hasn't been flown yet.

I stopped flying at one site because of the multi-rotor guys that are now showing up. Some of them are a pain in the neck. Some of them are a completely different king of flyer and annoy the heck out of others around them. So, they've taken over the flying field and many of us have moved on.

I tried it once, but I was too arrogant to undergo the proper lessons in flying an *RC* airplane, and promptly obliterated it on the very first take off attempt by smacking it into the knee fence along side the RC runway at about V1 speed.

The reason for that was because, at that time in my life, I was actively flying as a private pilot and even had my own airplane (1967 Piper Pa-28 140/160). Being a "real pilot" I didn't need no lessons on how to fly an RC airplane!! So I learned the hard way. It's quite different. Huge respect for skilled RC pilots.

Nice to see there are folks over here that share the same hobby as me.

I joined an RC club at 12 y.o.

We used to build everything from scratch using plywood, pine wood and japico paper , really old school
laugh.gif

Love the nitro and kero engines, electrics are cool as well but the bang-bang-bang, the smoke and the smell of the infernal combustion engine are hard to beat IMHO

Last edited:
I flew years ago, then went to boats. I am exclusively into quad and hex colters and love it. However I am very reserved at where I fly and how. I have FPV and video that I use and it's a different world than flying. I do sorta miss the nitro and piston engine part, but I build all my copters and will not buy "store bought" quads. To me, building them from scratch makes all the difference. I admit lots of quad owners are irresponsible and make things bad for the rest of us. I hope that dies down soon.

I have years ago, back with a rubber band escapement on one plane and a galloping ghost on another.

Looking for a gas helicopter now.

Been flying on and off since I was about 10 years old. Taught myself how to fly, and crashed many along the way. These days I pretty much putter around the sky with a 3-channel balsa stick and monokote glider I built about 20 years ago with either an old Cox .049 or a Norvell .061 sputtering away up front. Love the nitro smell, brings back memories of flying the Cox and Testors control line planes out in the cul de sac as kids in the 70's. Still have about 20 or so control line planes hanging on the walls in my basement workshop.

Also have a Slowpoke 40 as a hanger queen sitting in the corner, but I spent so much time building it and making it pretty I haven't had the courage to fly it more than a few times. It just looks too good to risk.

I did fly model RC planes from 1994 to 1997. I was so tired of having to tweak and repair them, that I gave up that hobby.

I am so glad that newer model aircraft have electric motors to replace the glow fuel engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back