Are there counterfeit products at those discount dollar-type stores?

I was reading online trying to find a couple of my old favorite soaps (Coast and Jergens) and read on the companies' actual sites to beware of buying their products at these types of stores saying they may be counterfeit. Is this myth or fact? I do notice that these discount stores sell products that are smaller in size and volume vs the same products at the name brand drug and grocery chains.

Stores we've all heard of sell loads of counterfeit products. It's close to, but not identical, to the authentic item. Apparently, civil cases arent super easy to win for the name brands. They have to pick their fights wisely. I never buy anything for an all for adollar type store that I eat, drink, etc.

You notice that quite a few now barely recognizable brands that were heavily promoted years ago are sold at those places. “Macclean’” toothpaste “Palmolive” soap and such. Quite often they are manufactured by a company with “Evergreen” in its name.

The reason is that continued Trademark protection requires more or less continuous usage in commerce. A company may not be ready to relinquish the trademark even though it’s not selling the product anymore. So they have Evergreen do a token production run from time to time, which they unload at the dollar stores.

Whether these products actually follow the old formulas is an open question.

I would think you are ok buying from a recognized chain. But, Bubba selling out of rusty Econoline in a parking lot, not so much.
Aw man, now you tell me! We have a 'BUBBA'S MEAT EMPORIUM WAGON' that sells some good road kill! Are you saying it's counterfeit?
If it were counterfeit I don't think they're allowed to sell it. But, then again, you never know. 🤷‍♂️

So, maybe it's not wise for us to be buying our insulin from the dollar store? ;)

For example,I found the original scent Coast soap at a dollar store. 6 pack for $3,but the bars are 3.2 oz. Same soap 6 pack at Walgreen's for $4,but the bars are 4 oz. Same exact packaging and everything, except for the slightly smaller bars. Makes me wonder.

Aw man, now you tell me! We have a 'BUBBA'S MEAT EMPORIUM WAGON' that sells some good road kill! Are you saying it's counterfeit?
If it were counterfeit I don't think they're allowed to sell it. But, then again, you never know. 🤷‍♂️
There's a big market out there for counterfeit roadkill. Never can trust that you're getting authentic roadkill these days. Always look for the tire track symbol across its butt, which is the certification needed on all roadkill sold in domestic markets.

There's a big market out there for counterfeit roadkill. Never can trust that you're getting authentic roadkill these days. Always look for the tire track symbol across its butt, which is the certification needed on all roadkill sold in domestic markets.
Ah, the notorious tire track! I'm Cajun and should know this. D'OH!
You know what's scary about this? It ACTUALLY exists throughout the world (mostly in Arkansas). :unsure:

For example,I found the original scent Coast soap at a dollar store. 6 pack for $3,but the bars are 3.2 oz. Same soap 6 pack at Walgreen's for $4,but the bars are 4 oz. Same exact packaging and everything, except for the slightly smaller bars. Makes me wonder.

I think you're fine with that soap. Soap's ingredients are basically the same worldwide, so you're mostly paying for the scent.

It's also possible that the manufacturer does not disclose that they sell a "subpar" version of their product for lower markets. Clothing companies never admit that their outlet stores sell a cheaper version of lines of clothing compared to full retail shops.

I just recently bought some Powerade at my local DG store. The bottles were 28 oz. I'm used to seeing the 32 oz. size. That's the first time I have even seen it sold in a 28 oz. bottle. 🤷‍♂️

Independent type discount stores usually located in a bad part of town are places you can often find fake goods.
Fake Coach purses as an example.
A slightly smaller size is how stores like the Dollar General/Family Dollar can offer Powerade at a lower price than a gas station.
Like the small bag of chips, box of cereal for $1 at the Dollar Tree vs somewhere else.

Retailers like Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar are big enough that they are almost certainly buying direct from the manufacturer. Putting something in smaller packaging is done solely to meet a price point. It doesn't mean someone is counterfeiting the item and screwing up the size. Using Dollar General as one example, they appear to sell the identical things that you'd get at Walmart, Kroger, etc including the packaging size. Stores like Dollar Tree - where everything is truly $1 - sells less well-known brands as well as much smaller packaging. Again, that's to meet the price point of $1 though. They sell engine oil in 16oz bottles for $1 and everyone thinks it's garbage oil but I think someone checked into it and it's "good" oil.

Same soap 6 pack at Walgreen's
I would never use someplace like Walgreens, CVS, etc for price comparisons. You pay through the nose at those stores for the convenience.

I think you're fine with that soap. Soap's ingredients are basically the same worldwide, so you're mostly paying for the scent.

It's also possible that the manufacturer does not disclose that they sell a "subpar" version of their product for lower markets. Clothing companies never admit that their outlet stores sell a cheaper version of lines of clothing compared to full retail shops.
I remember back when outlets first became mainstream, they would say the outlets sold "irregulars" of the versions sold at stores like Dillard's,etc.

Retailers like Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar are big enough that they are almost certainly buying direct from the manufacturer. Putting something in smaller packaging is done solely to meet a price point. It doesn't mean someone is counterfeiting the item and screwing up the size. Using Dollar General as one example, they appear to sell the identical things that you'd get at Walmart, Kroger, etc including the packaging size. Stores like Dollar Tree - where everything is truly $1 - sells less well-known brands as well as much smaller packaging. Again, that's to meet the price point of $1 though. They sell engine oil in 16oz bottles for $1 and everyone thinks it's garbage oil but I think someone checked into it and it's "good" oil.

I would never use someplace like Walgreens, CVS, etc for price comparisons. You pay through the nose at those stores for the convenience.
So do major manufacturers make smaller sized products specifically for dollar-type stores?

I remember back when outlets first became mainstream, they would say the outlets sold "irregulars" of the versions sold at stores like Dillard's,etc.

Some still might. Nordstrom Rack and Neiman Marcus Last Call both seem to do that.

But places like "Brooks Brothers Outlet" are straight up selling lesser quality clothing made specifically to be sold at those stores.

I also remember when outlets did that. They'd do things like cut the (inside) tag (slit it) so you couldn't return the item to a regular store for regular price. They did other things to mark them as irregular too. Today, outlet stores are just regular, retail locations selling full-quality products. In southwest Ohio, there's at least (2) "outlet malls", from Bose to Levi's to Oakley. The best benefit with these places are their selection. I buy/wear Levi's and typically buy them at Kohls, but only when on sale. They can only stock so many styles and sizes though (not counting kohls.com) while the outlet stores has hundreds or thousands of styles and sizes.

I recall some years ago it was discovered that some of the smaller sizes of name brand toothpaste were knockoffs from China and contained antifreeze. Anyone else remember this?

National chain wouldn't want to get sued selling counterfeit themselves. They may list them for 3rd party seller however like Amazon and eBay.

For these brands they may be import from 3rd world countries for their local market. This kind of happen if foreign exchange works in their favor or if they have a surplus they need to get rid of. They may also be low end stuff they make specifically for low end stores for low end / aged brands.

Anyways, you get what you pay for, and brands are just brands but the quality is YMMV.

I’m sure it’s real products maybe made for a certain company. My friend believes Walmart gets counterfeit oil because they sell it cheaper than the parts stores so he refuses to buy it because he is crazy. And that’s a ridiculous thing for him to assume. So I would safely say no it’s not counterfeit.

Back