Are there any risk associated with using Techron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is running fine and I'd like to keep it that way, are there any possible risk to using Techron? I mean, I'll dump a bottle in there (before an oil change per the recommendation of the good folks here) if there's NO risk that it can do any harm. If it does any actual cleaning, then that's just a bonus.

No risk...

Borescope inspections have shown relatively clean valves in my non-DI engines with the concentrations blended in pump Chevron blends.

Never felt the the need for supplemental additives, although Techron is specifically recommended/approved by several OE manufacturers should the need arise.

Red Line's SI-1 is also thought of highly by several here at BITOG.

http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/S1-1 Tech Info.pdf

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
No risk.

+1 just don't use it more then the recommended 3,000 stated on the bottle.

I would recommend it every 10k, because I doubt there is much benefit of using it.

I'm using it every 10k and will do another fuel injector cleaning report at 120k with before and after report to see if using Techron was beneficial or not.

I still have the original fuel injector cleaning report to compare it to.

Note: 120k after the initial fuel injector cleaning.

Last edited:
I have used in the truck and Trans Am. Seems to work.

I am sending my injectors to Trav this week. I think one of them is leaking. He maybe able to tell if it is messing with them.

I use it (or the rebranded Regane) before each oil change. For me that tends to be about once every 6k miles. The fill up before my next oil change, I pour it in and fill up the tank on top of it to make sure it mixes in with the gas.

I've never had any negative effects from using it.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
michaelluscher said:
I would recommend it every 10k, because I doubt there is much benefit of using it.

If not much benefit, then why use it at all?

Probably not that much benefit for someone who regularly uses gas with high detergent additive levels. However, some people (myself included) like to throw in some stuff every once in while if different fuel is used. It's not that I think any fuel will specifically junk up my engine and fuel system, but it just makes me feel better about not always using high detergent fuels.

A GM Master Mechanic said even with top tier gas there is still build up and he can't explain why, mentioned in a previous post and I didn't save the link.

No risk. Just positives, think of it as vinegar added to the washer machine. I bought a bottle of MMO after using STP Fuel Injection Cleaner (silver bottle) every 20K. Every 10K is what I do since using the best.

+1 on Red Line's SI-1.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
michaelluscher said:

If not much benefit, then why use it at all?

I guess you didn't read the whole post, I'm comparing cleaning results with my first 120k without Techron and the next 120k with Techron...

whatever the results are will determine if I continue to use it or not.

No risk as long as you don't put a whole bottle in a few gallons. As I mentioned in another post, the product I have is based on the Techron ingredients, and formulated as they suggest for maximum cleaning. We have lousy gas.
I recommend 3000 miles or when you notice hesitation or pinging. That is about 3000 miles on my Grand Cherokee. The Mercedes dealer is recommending every tank.

Since I started using it my mileage has really increased. Saturday on my trip to Tarija I averaged 24.5 mpg, which is a record. Also did the trip in record time.

I myself have been using it in all my autos for the past 11 years. 2 times a year-->Once before summer and Once before winter. Not one fuel related repair or issue. Is it because of the Techron? Who knows--> I pour it and don't worry about it. I worry more about my Kids texting and driving.

Chevron over my life time has earned my Respect and Loyalty. I trust their products-->Especially this one.

Normally Oreillys has it BoGo so It really is inexpensive if you buy then. {Stock Up}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back