Are there any drawbacks living next to a farm?

what types of farms are the 2 different ones?
How does it compare to city or suburban living w/construction, dust, dirt, noise, crime, sirens, strangers and so forth?
(length of time, intensity, time of day, other specific to the farms' activities?)
What R ur particular issues (chem sensitivity?) and how do they compare to these specific farms' practices?

What is ur own lifestyle vis a` ve these neighboring activities?
(are U on holiday concurrent to them, is that a time of yr U wrk inside 24/7 w/windows closed, ac on full blast? etc)

I don't think we can answer, but there are some parameters w/which U can do that wrk~
HTH, good luck !
BTW: life is quite different in lower pop areas. We build community together (R in'n out of each others homes, each one person has many different roles locally - the fam doc might B the baseball coach, deacon @ church, and selectman) and R less anonymous. We rely on one an other. Meet w/these folks, become prt of the community. "Dont B a stranger" is a common saying.

I worry about too much pesticide exposure, a fear of mine if I lived near a farm.
I use pesticides around my own home, but I control where it goes and on what days. Im always aware, lets say, keep the dog off the lawn or away from the outside perimeter of the house for a full day or more until perfectly dry conditions, stuff like that. I also use it infrequently but in full control when I do.

I can use it as per the label and in liquid form that stays where you apply and dries out, not dust that can blow anyplace.
When someone else nearby is using it, I have no control nor do I even know when.

Last edited:
Are farms usually noisy? I assume the tractors come out only a few times a year.
Depends how many farms/fields are nearby. In some areas, one farmer with BIG equipment might be hired by the others to do much of their farming, so then you get BIG and loud equipment driving up and down your road multiple times a day, multiple days a week, multiple months of the year.

And if you have overheard power lines, cable internet lines, etc, running to your house from the other side of the road, then every time you see a BIG piece of equipment drive by you can't help but eyeball it for a moment as it passes under your overhead lines by only a foot or two. And if you're unlucky, someone driving a tall piece of equipment will forget to lower the tallest part of it, and then they hit your lines and then you don't have internet for three days except on your phone.

Depends on the area, but the manure fertilizer smell doesn't happen very often and doesn't last more than a day each time.

Some days are fun, such as if a nearby farm hires a helicopter guy to spread fertilizer, and then the pilot does fly-bys and fast 180 turns and dive-bombs over the field like someone is filming an action movie. Though at first, you might think WW3 has started or that the FBI is raiding you.

You'll probably get random farm cats hunting on your property. And hear mooing cows if they haven't been fed that day yet. And being surrounded by a corn field makes it hard to see bears.

The inevitable day when those farm fields are sold off for a new subdivision.
This. It has happened to me this year. The field on one side and another across the road have been sold to developers. The one next to me already has 30 houses under construction just a year after the farmer sold it.

Back