Are there any considerate people left?

This is another annoyance. Capable people adding wear and tear to those door mechanisms leading to premature failure for those less fortunate that need it. Not to mention the traffic jam as they wait for the door to slowly open for them. Lazy AND inconsiderate.
Those are commercial quality doors. Wear and tear doesn't matter because if the switch breaks, they're supposed to replace it. There's a reason to use them if you don't want to open the doors with your hands. In the past, it wasn't normal to carry hand sanitizer everywhere and when you realize that 50% of the people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, you don't want to touch surfaces that many others have touched.

Those are commercial quality doors. Wear and tear doesn't matter because if the switch breaks, they're supposed to replace it. There's a reason to use them if you don't want to open the doors with your hands. In the past, it wasn't normal to carry hand sanitizer everywhere and when you realize that 50% of the people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, you don't want to touch surfaces that many others have touched.
Just because they're "supposed" to replace them, doesn't mean they do. Besides, I don't touch anything in a public place with bare hands, especially in a bathroom. I either use my elbow, my foot or a paper towel.

Just because they're "supposed" to replace them, doesn't mean they do. Besides, I don't touch anything in a public place with bare hands, especially in a bathroom. I either use my elbow, my foot or a paper towel.
So you're not going to use the automatic door opener because you think that will break the switch and it won't be replaced.

That makes a lot of sense.

Being considerate goes hand in hand with manners, both of which are disappearing. I was raised to say please and thank you, to open door for people etc. I was in the grocery store when I saw an older woman trying to help an even older woman in a wheel chair get some milk from the top shelf 5 or 6 people walked by and no one offered any help. I asked if I could help and got the milk for her I thought the two old ladies knew each other but nope. I the 2 ladies thanked me and I went on with my business. There are many factors that play into our society being the way it is cold and impersonal, but its easily changed by all of us, if you have children or grand children teach them manners make them understand that they are not owed anything from anyone being considerate and having manners is part of living in society.

So you're not going to use the automatic door opener because you think that will break the switch and it won't be replaced.

That makes a lot of sense.
No, I don't use it because I don't NEED to. There's more to door opening systems than just a switch, BTW.

My sister was at a supermarket deli and they had samples of rolled ham and turkey with stick pretzel instead of toothpick. There were 3 samples left and deli employee told her to take a sample.

A fat slob customer heard about the samples and quickly took all 3 before my sister could get one.

My sister was at a supermarket deli and they had samples of rolled ham and turkey with stick pretzel instead of toothpick. There were 3 samples left and deli employee told her to take a sample.

A fat slob customer heard about the samples and quickly took all 3 before my sister could get one.
Reminds me of the time I was at a marathon expo. In the past various vendors would have various free offerings. One guy went up to one of the displays and started grabbing a bunch of items and afterwards the guy told him they were $1 each. The guy started putting them all back and he was super embarrassed as he had grabbed a lot.

We have noticed that when we leave Ca and head east that the people are nicer. Just across the border into Az people will acknowledge you or hold a door open..

A large percentage of people in California are simply too cool, to acknowledge you. The overtly friendly person who makes, or tries to make eye contact and say hello, will soon be disappointed, and give up. Most people go around ignoring each other.

Went to the grocery store this morning and wish I hadn't. Seen a guy who didn't want to wait and went into the store before it opened, no cashiers yet and too dumb to notice. Seen a guy reach over someone's shoulder to get something, said nothing, he could have blown into that guy's ear. Seen a lady hacking on someone being too close and didn't have the sense to cough into her arm or even her hand and keep her distance. It seems common sense, courtesy for others and a minimal amount of intelligence needed to function seem to be a rarity and afflicting a lot of people these days.
A mass of people were at the store today after a week of sub-zero wind chills.

Even with recommendations that just ONE person go to the store, there were entire families there. And not just single moms, I could get that as she may not have someone to watch her kids while she goes in. But often two, three, four adults with a gaggle of children. So if one were trying to be considerate and not reach over them, or barge through as they stop in the middle of an aisle to decide on cheezy poofs or some other snack, you might get pushed beyond your ability to remain calm.

It's not like it's one thing, but the constant drip, drip, drip of inconsiderate people that wears one down.

I was able to manage to keep my composure today. Hopefully, that will remain true.

I did feel sorry for a little old lady, who appeared to be there alone, almost overwhelmed by the mass of inconsiderate humanity around her. I was able to help her get an item that was shelved too high for her to reach. She really looked just this side of frightened. Between the pandemic and the crush of inconsiderate behavior, my heart went out to her today.

This is another annoyance. Capable people adding wear and tear to those door mechanisms leading to premature failure for those less fortunate that need it. Not to mention the traffic jam as they wait for the door to slowly open for them. Lazy AND inconsiderate.
How do you know who needs to use the automatic door open and who doesn’t? I would not wish a torn rotator cuff on anybody. It is not visible to ordinary observers.

How do you know who needs to use the automatic door open and who doesn’t? I would not wish a torn rotator cuff on anybody. It is not visible to ordinary observers.

To add to this, when you see people coughing or sneezing in their hands or scratching their bum then open the door then yes I will use the automatic doors.

Back