Are there any considerate people left?

Went to the grocery store this morning and wish I hadn't. Seen a guy who didn't want to wait and went into the store before it opened, no cashiers yet and too dumb to notice. Seen a guy reach over someone's shoulder to get something, said nothing, he could have blown into that guy's ear. Seen a lady hacking on someone being too close and didn't have the sense to cough into her arm or even her hand and keep her distance. It seems common sense, courtesy for others and a minimal amount of intelligence needed to function seem to be a rarity and afflicting a lot of people these days.

...held a door for an old lady while exiting a store. Her expression was one of shock and surprise. She needed the "half second" to gather a sincere "thank you". Made her day?
I got a different reaction recently for doing the same thing. The lady rolled her eyes when I held the door for her and she cowered as she slinked by me as if to say, “ you might infect me while attempting to be courteous”. No thanks from her but I did say “you’re welcome“ after she slinked past.

...held a door for an old lady while exiting a store. Her expression was one of shock and surprise. She needed the "half second" to gather a sincere "thank you". Made her day?
I'm 68 yo/ Two or three years ago I held a door open for a woman who must have be 80 yo. She was slowly getting there and she told me go and not worry about her. I said that she should take her time and that I would wait. She was shocked and when she got to the door she said "Now there's a man whose mother raised him right." Courtesy both ways.

A little courtesy goes a long way. Live your life as you see fit.
Perhaps learn form other people, both what you admire and what you don't.

Went to the grocery store this morning and wish I hadn't. Seen a guy who didn't want to wait and went into the store before it opened, no cashiers yet and too dumb to notice. Seen a guy reach over someone's shoulder to get something, said nothing, he could have blown into that guy's ear. Seen a lady hacking on someone being too close and didn't have the sense to cough into her arm or even her hand and keep her distance. It seems common sense, courtesy for others and a minimal amount of intelligence needed to function seem to be a rarity and afflicting a lot of people these days.
This is how people act. I avoid them when I can.

Keep being polite and courteous, I've found (even having lived in the NYC Metro for 30+ years before moving away) that even when someone is having a tough day and otherwise might not be acting politely, much of the time being polite and courteous by default causes them to treat you the same way. Or maybe that's just my own perception.

That's one reason I try to stay out of stores, especially big box ones, unless it is very early when they first open, and the customers are sparse.
The older I get, the more I feel this way.

I’m very courteous no reason not to be. I was once in Iowa visiting family and we stopped a nice truck stop and there was an old lady and her daughter and the lady had a walker and I opened the door and let them go in and they were so happy they paid for our check then her daughter told me how her mom was 89 and nobody ever acts like that around there at the truck stop and was crying over my act of kindness it was the greatest feeling ever. I do it regularly at the gas station or anywhere with a manual door it’s just the right thing to do. I’ve also helped people reach things in the store too lol. That is my southern hospitality right there and it’s how I was raised.

I got a different reaction recently for doing the same thing. The lady rolled her eyes when I held the door for her and she cowered as she slinked by me as if to say, “ you might infect me while attempting to be courteous”. No thanks from her but I did say “you’re welcome“ after she slinked past.
Similar and can’t do the six foot thing so I just time the doors now …

here ya go , was at a local dollar store a few weeks ago and started to walk down an isle only to see a guy coughing his he off and no mask...I turned around and walked out as fast as I could...I mean come on now even when this virus stuff wasn't around it's not good to be coughing like that ..even if you don't think this virus is all that bad , at least have some respect for others

I'm so nice I hold open automatic doors for other people. ;)
This is another annoyance. Capable people adding wear and tear to those door mechanisms leading to premature failure for those less fortunate that need it. Not to mention the traffic jam as they wait for the door to slowly open for them. Lazy AND inconsiderate.

Back