Are the TPMS sensors the same for Toyota Factory Steel Wheels and Toyota Factory Alloy Wheels?

Hello

Here is some background info:

I have a 2021 Toyota RAV4 LE which was purchase new from a Toyota Dealer in California, vin number starts with 2 which means the the vehicle assembly began in Canada, it doesn't mean it was finished being assembled there.

The LE comes stock with steel wheels.

I plan to run two sets of wheels and got a second set of Toyota Factory alloy wheels off a 2021 RAV4 XLE. This second set had the TPMS sensors removed by the original owner therefore I need to purchase a set of TPMS sensors.

Question:
Are the TPMS sensors the same for the steel wheels and the alloy wheels? Or are they physically different? Unfortunately I don't have the vin of the vehicle the wheels came off.

I don't believe there is a difference in TPMS for alloy wheels vs. steel wheels. Do note that TPMS are coded specific to each individual vehicle. Best thing to do is to purchase a set of programmable TPMS and clone them from your OEM TPMS. So speak to your local tire shops and they should be able to help you with that.

I don't believe there is a difference in TPMS for alloy wheels vs. steel wheels. Do note that TPMS are coded specific to each individual vehicle. Best thing to do is to purchase a set of programmable TPMS and clone them from your OEM TPMS. So speak to your local tire shops and they should be able to help you with that.
thanks.. I was initially going to get the programmable type and clone them however I am able to get to the Wheel Set Change Mode on my vehicle through the buttons on my steering wheel and they vehicle will relearn the codes. And I believe it allows two sets to be stored so I should be good.

Thanks

I was reading about the Toyota Tundra and they said that the sensors are physically different shape and dimensions on the steel vs alloy. And one needs to be careful as they can easily be broken when a tire shop changes tires as the tire technician will not know and the tire removal tool will break them.

Ah.... I think I am on to something....

It seems like
42607-0C091 is for vehicles with the tradition key

and

42607-06030 is for vehicles with the smart key ( push button start / keyless entry).

Can anyone confirm this?

It still doesn't address my initial steel vs alloy wheel question.

I have a 2021 Toyota RAV4 LE which was purchase new from a Toyota Dealer in California, vin number starts with 2 which means the the vehicle assembly began in Canada, it doesn't mean it was finished being assembled there.
This is news to me. Are you suggesting the vehicle was partially assembled in Canada, then exported to another country to finish manufacturing?

I've heard of vehicles like the transit vans getting seats ripped out and turned into "trucks" to avoid the chicken tax, so small modifications done in another country before hitting dealer lots. On a huge volume seller like the RAV4, I don't think it would make economic sense to partially assemble it in one place, then finish manufacturing in another country. Unless you're just talking about finishing touches, like installing wheels, dealer upgrades, that sort of thing... Pretty sure the 2 in the VIN means it was made in Canada, not somewhere else.

This is news to me. Are you suggesting the vehicle was partially assembled in Canada, then exported to another country to finish manufacturing?

I've heard of vehicles like the transit vans getting seats ripped out and turned into "trucks" to avoid the chicken tax, so small modifications done in another country before hitting dealer lots. On a huge volume seller like the RAV4, I don't think it would make economic sense to partially assemble it in one place, then finish manufacturing in another country. Unless you're just talking about finishing touches, like installing wheels, dealer upgrades, that sort of thing... Pretty sure the 2 in the VIN means it was made in Canada, not somewhere else.
Sorry my comment was slightly inaccurate. The final assembly point was Canada.... that being said assembly could have started in Canada or the US or elsewhere. So yes what I am saying is the the vehicle could have been partially assembled in a country other than Canada.

I have seen what you speak of WRT the Tundra, two different styles.

My Toyota sensors have a threaded seal which IMO would accommodate varying thicknesses in rims, so long as they are the standard 29/64" hole size.

Though there may be something about the SHAPE of Tundra steelies that requires a different sensor. I got some generic multi-pattern snow rims that claimed TPMS compatibility but something cocked the valve stem slightly sideways and I lost air overnight.

Best thing you can do is hit up a toyota parts website for your sensors to see if they subdivide your car into different rim styles.

Back