Are Tanks and Armored Vehicles Obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanks are sitting ducks. Especially in insurgency warfare. They offer a false sense of strength, invincibility, and superiority. They will rely heavily on infantry and other defenses to protect them.

When LNs have sufficient weaponry (which is very prolific today) to defeat tanks, at almost no cost to the LNs but a huge loss to the side relying on armor, the LNs will prevail. Tanks cannot be built and replaced as fast as they can be destroyed.

This was a lesson the Germans learned in WWII. They had the best armor of the war, certainly better than the US. They could routinely and repeatedly beat 4 Shermans in a tank war, so it would take 5 Shermans to destroy a Panzer or Tiger. But the US had 10x as many tanks. So it became a war of attrition. The winner is the survivor.

Same with anti-armor weapons, which can be delivered from afar or by drones, or mines, VBIEDs, traps, etc. LNs can bleed the Russians dry of tanks, armored vehicles, and aircraft which cannot be easily or cheaply replaced infinitely. The LNs will have infinite supply of anti-armor weapons.
Per Martin Caidin's "The Tigers Are Burning", a historical account of the Battle of Kursk, the German tanks were inferior to the Soviet tanks in most ways. That surprised me!

Iran wasn't supporting Iraq during the war, that came afterwards after Iraq fell. Remember Iran had a war with Iraq so they weren't exactly friends. You would think Russian would have learned from the US, I believe Mosul took 9 months and they were facing about 6k insurgents. Although the US was trying not to kill civilians so I guess if you don't care about them, it should take less time but it's still a long bloody battle anytime there's urban warfare.
This is a small sample size, but I was surprised by an Iranian coworker's vehement support of Iraq in 2003. I asked him about that in light of Iran and Iraq having been involved in a long bloody war in the '80s.

He explained it something like this:

An Iranian man will fight his brother.

The brothers will stop fighting each other, though, to fight the men from another family.

However, all the men of the village will put aside their differences to fight the men of another village ... and so on up to two Middle-Eastern countries will fight each other, but will gladly put their war on hold to fight an outside invader.

As an aside, my two Iranian coworkers were excellent fellows - hard-working, intelligent, kind, charitable, generous, gracious, and funny. It was a pleasure to work with them. I had lots of political differences with the one, but we didn't let that affect our friendship.

My Grandfather when he was still alive, WW2 Army Combat Vet. Refused to buy anything Mitsubishi for their manufacture of the Zero.
My aunt was the same about Japanese products in general. This was in the mid-'70s, so 30 years after the end of the war. Insisted her husband buy Brit cars, which were problematic. I asked her why not a Toyota, and she said that the Japanese had done very bad things during the war. With the lack of tact of a teenager, I asked if the British firebombing of Dresden very late in the war had been OK.

My sister married a very good Japanese-Canadian man from a very loving family. Our aunt did attend, and I hope was OK with it.

My aunt was the same about Japanese products in general. This was in the mid-'70s, so 30 years after the end of the war. Insisted her husband buy Brit cars, which were problematic. I asked her why not a Toyota, and she said that the Japanese had done very bad things during the war. With the lack of tact of a teenager, I asked if the British firebombing of Dresden very late in the war had been OK.

My sister married a very good Japanese-Canadian man from a very loving family. Our aunt did attend, and I hope was OK with it.
Arthur Harris like any other war criminal should have tried for war crimes IMO.

Per Martin Caidin's "The Tigers Are Burning", a historical account of the Battle of Kursk, the German tanks were inferior to the Soviet tanks in most ways. That surprised me!
A lot of that book seems fiction, if memory serves only 1-2 Tiger were destroyed in all of Kursk and the soviets claimed more tigers destroyed than existed on the entire front.
Yet Soviet commanders told Stalin "the tigers are burning!" and invented all sorts of german losses to cover up the tremendous losses of their own.

The battle of Kursk is a lot more nuanced than simply repackaging the soviet propaganda of its day.
At the key battle of Prokhorovka, the Soviets lost 550 of 850 tanks of all types while the Germans lost about 50 of 300.

According to you I was wrong. The only reason they will not be attacked and destroyed now is bc were an enemy to sink one it woul be WWII. I suppose if I were invested in jets like you I would feel the same way.

A stinger can take down a fighter at 13,000 ft. I don't know why you are saying a drone is not as effective as a fighter jet. Why in the world would one use a 50+ million $$ fighter plus pilot which can be destroyed by a hand held stinger to take out a million$$ jet....when a 1 million $$$ drone can do the job.
There will always be a need for a plane with a brain.

Is there much tank vs. tank fighting in Ukraine? I was under the impression the Ukrainian army was not using a lot of tanks. Even when they capture a Russian tank in working order, they don't change the flag on it and go to the front, it's just going to get blown up. In other words a tank has some use as an offensive weapon, but the best defense against them is not a tank of your own.

Last edited:
I'm referring to non-strategic nukes. RA has cannon nukes with a 20 miles range capable of 1-5 kilotons which I think would be low yield and clean enough not to make a lasting impact and irradiate Europe. The Iskandar cruise missiles supposedly have a yield of 10 - 50 kilotons. Hiroshima was 15 kilotons so and was back to pre-nuke population within a decade.

Taking out the capitol for 10 years might be just what Putin wants and would show the rest of UA he's not joking. A low yield nuke would accomplish this and might be light enough for NATO to grin and bear it, especially since it won't look any different than a regular Iskander though our intelligence would probably know before the button is even pressed. Putin is backed into a corner and I think he's crazy enough and wants to push the button. It would be an efficient way to get rid of the resistance in Kyiv at least. Just my 2 rubles as a Russian arm chair general.
The U.S. dropped Atomic bombs before. link.

6D98602F-2381-4075-BB4C-183F9F80B87F.jpg

Good, bad or indifferent....

Vlad has gotten tired of NATO and US intrusion into his world of influence.

Candidly... It's understandable to a degree.

Think about a Warsaw Pact nation trying to be brought to bear right on the southern US border...

Would the US take kindly to that ?

Ahh... No.

We almost start WWW III over Cuba having nuclear weapons on it. Which thank goodness JFK handled that circumstance about has well as could possibly have been done.

We also attempted taking out Cuba's leader a number of times.

This current circumstance has been brought about by very short sighted and thoughtless regard for Russian concerns in their region. Several US presidents have failed to recognize the potential for danger of closing in on a country like Russia.

Bringing forner Warsaw Pact nation's into NATO was a big, big mistake. Attempting to bring Ukraine into NATO is a massive miscalculation which is potentially and likely exceptionally dangerous and antagonist in nature.

The disarmament of the Ukraine sponsored by US and others was not very well thought out for long term negative consequences. Yes I know Russia signed that agreement as well... Though it made them quite pleased to have Ukraine disarmed at that time. Anyone think this would be happening if that agreement had never happened ?? Ahhh... No. Quite unlikely it would have. Our lack of truly understanding the difficulties in the past between people in those areas and what that could lead to is now on full display. The US and NATO opened the door for all of this to take place.

A cornered animal is the most dangerous one.

And we have been foolishly doing that for the past 25+ years.

My thought only. I think the original goal wasn't to corner in on Russia but create instability in the former Warsaw Pact for Russia to deal with. This would only work if Russia internally has instability as well in their political and military (like back in the 1989/1990 era).

It would be wise to wait till Putin pass away before the attempt, or at least till Putin's generals started some move on their own.

Giving false hope and promise to a former Warsaw Pact nation then didn't go all in for their "civil war" is going to end like Syria. We no longer need Syria if the pipeline would not be build but Ukraine is pretty important if you still want to use Russian oil and gas.

No. The real question is has the ROI on warfare in general made it obsolete.
ROI on war was never good even back in the days. Roman empire, Mongol, and many former empires East and West all collapse due to war debt and it is only worth fighting if you can win or if losing the war means your extinction. It is usually wise to fight someone much smaller than you are and just make peace with someone of equal size, or your goal is not to win but to wear out your enemy so they will give in and leave you alone if you have nothing to lose.

There's a reason we just left the Warsaw Pact alone back then instead of trying to invade and win like WW2. Russia and Ukraine at the moment are economically poor, militarily still pretty strong, but their financial impact on world economy could be pretty big if the conflict spread to between Russia and NATO nations or other world economy (Taiwan declare independent forcing China to do something, hitting Japan along the way, etc).

Saying ROI on war made it obsolete is like saying prison sentence ROI made police obsolete.... As soon as you take it for real you have what we are seeing in San Francisco right now.

Last edited:
With the integration of economic systems they are conducting warfare against themselves.

Be nice to China. They would be the only 3rd semi-super power in the world to absorb all the resources and trade need of Russia that Europe abandoned and end up with a lot more output that we cannot get enough elsewhere (ores, energy of all sorts). Basically with the conflicts you are going to see the trade wars of the last office reverted and extra icing added on top to make them happy so they will not steer toward Russia too much.

They would then ask to be treated like Japan and S Korea, but US and Europe would never allow it (imagine per capita GDP of Japan but with China's size and population, competing with you on the world stage). It is better not to go down that path.

The financial guys know and that's why RMB shot up to the moon, even more than the traditional safe haven like USD.

Last edited:
Our wars with out profit have bankrupted the U.S.A.. Nixon taking the dollar off the Gold to pay off the Vietnam war wasn't the best thing.
I think UK had the same problem with the Suez Crisis

Arthur Harris like any other war criminal should have tried for war crimes IMO.
I think "Bomber" Harris was following orders. The fire-bombing of the strategically insignificant Dresden, especially that late in the war (February 1945?) looks horrible in retrospect, but part of Bomber Command's mandate was to demoralize the German people.

Harris died some years later, feeling, with some justification, that he'd done his job to the best of his ability, and been abandoned by the politicians, including even Churchill, postwar.

But the victors write history.

Len Deighton's excellent novel "Bomber" is, IIRC, based on the destruction of Dresden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back