Are Synergen Oils Any Good ?.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked into a local peformance shop and seen Synergen (spelling ?) oils on display. Anyone have any opinions on this oil or experience with it. Any info would be cool. thanks.

With wide open questions, you'll often get better results faster with a quick search. Here's a thread from a few months ago:

Synergen oils

Reading it, I just learned it's really "synergyn", so another search:

Synergyn???

There are a few other mentions. Sounds like a decent and pricey true synth.

David

I raced them with great results except they never would answer my pleas for more sponsorship at the end of the 1998 Season, something about PRO/IMSA Road Racing not up to NASCAR demographics. Pulling the giant SYNERYGN graphics off the side of the Featherlite broke my heart after dragging it all over North America.

The oil is very well built, pioneered low VIS oils. Uses a proprietary blend of Syn and Mineral oils. I ran the 3w-30 oil in place of M1 15w-50 and 20w-50 synthetic Racing oils with a good boost in HP and decreased head temps. No increase in wear. Relys on Synergyn additive to perform EP functions.

Gear lubes and Trans fluids exceptional. Also uses thin vis technology.

Chief CHemist is one of Amsoils originals , Kevin Kusch.

Terry, I seen on the back of the bottle the name Dyson Oil Company or something like that, I was wondering if that had to do with you, guess not hugh. Good info on that oil though, sound interesting. thanks.

Same solid Welsh name, families split apart after the US Civil War, ours stayed in Mississippi theirs to Lousiana,others to Arkansas. We do look alike which shocked both of Us on our first meeting in 1998.

Dyson Analysis and Dyson Oil are not related business wise.

I have also heard good things about their gear oils ... even from Red Line stalwarts.
shocked.gif

The one thing that turns me off a bit is the way they market one motor oil for both street and track applications. I really think a company trying to provide the ultimate in lubricants should tailor those two formulas differently.

--- Bror Jace

Bror,

You have been spending too much time reading propaganda on the Redline website again.
wink.gif

There is actually some pretty misleading or simply incorrect information on that site, which I'd be glad to go into in minute detail sometime ....One of the best ones is where they show the evaporation rates of Redline products when tested @ 400F, when the Noack test that everyone uses is done @ 250C/482F. Very easy to be mislead unless you know this stuff and work with polymeric materials. The GL-4 vs GL-5 information is simply wrong and I've never seen any documented evidence to support the Redline claim that using a modern GL-5 synthetic formulation will cut your syncro life by 50%. Try to find data from a controlled test in any of the SAE literature that supports that contention.

Don't you think that even so called "race" oils should have detergent additives, since most of them are used in street applications and not engines that are torn down all the time?

Ted

what peaked my interest was the price, just over $10 a quart up here, which is cheaper than Redline, a bit more than Mobil1. The thinnest vis I see on the shelf is 5w-30. I might be interested in trying it out. Do you know if it has moly in it ?. I'd be running it in a 2002 Civic SiR, 2.0 L. I will likely be doing a track day in June with it too. Sounds like it is up to the task.

"There is actually some pretty misleading or simply incorrect information on that site, which I'd be glad to go into in minute detail sometime ...."

Please do
smile.gif

"One of the best ones is where they show the evaporation rates of Redline products when tested @ 400F, when the Noack test that everyone uses is done @ 250C/482F."

So what? All are tested in the same way, they don't call it noack and they state the test parameters. They list NOACK on thier PDF of oil properties.

"... The GL-4 vs GL-5 information is simply wrong and I've never seen any documented evidence to support the Redline claim that using a modern GL-5 synthetic formulation will cut your syncro life by 50%. Try to find data from a controlled test in any of the SAE literature that supports that contention."

It's not wrong. They don't say a modern GL5 synthetic will reduce synchro life. They say the GL5 SPEC does not require protection of those metals. Yes Amsoil's is fine. So is Schaeffer's or even Supertech for that matter, but that is a voluntary choice of the manufacturer. Pennzoil 80w90 didn't say anything about transmissions or saftey of those metals, so I used the Supertech in the trans. So yes I believe it is still true for some.
Also I have heard of that long before I even knew who Red Line was. No I don't have any SAE papers.
Bob's analysis of same brand GL4 vs GL5 clearly shows higher P and Sulfur

"Don't you think that even so called "race" oils should have detergent additives, since most of them are used in street applications and not engines that are torn down all the time?"

Then you would use the street oils, which are suitable for racing and perform well as we seen in the recent analysis
smile.gif
. The race oils are that slight extra friction reduction in professional racing when you need every little advantage you can get. They explicitly state not to use them in the street and to change them at least every couple events. So what's the concern? If you use them in street, you deserve what you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back