are Saturn's reliable or whats up with them? everyone seems to hate

Not to be repetitive, but in the year range you are looking at, rust is going to be your biggest issue. Be sure to look at the underside of the cars - they may look great up top, and there be nothing good left underneath. Seen it sooooo many times.

nono not at all, im grateful for all the help! sounds good, i guess rust isnt just a cosmetic thing cuz too much undersides could mean bad for brake lines and other lines etc? or is it mostly a cosmetic thing

I've seen them with a ton of miles too at the taxi company across the street when I worked at Goodyear. One went 540,000kms before the transmission failed, engine blew up and was replaced at 470,000kms). These guys did zero maintenance, oil changes every year or 2, drivers were abusive. Another one went 675,000kms, I remember that car constantly bouncing up and down, the rear struts were so bad.

The other taxi company in that town ran 95% nothing but impalas. Most were the 3800 which was the better engine but the 3400 could last also.

Is that in an area without salted roads in the winter?

“i had another question about the 3.4l impala's, i found some with km as low as 150,000km which is about 94,000 miles. would you still avoid it with this low of mileage?”

i said that because some others were saying how it has had issues with the engine and other things and to be avoided (which i assumed would happen at higher mileage) so i was wondering if it would still apply to a low mileage vehicle

I think the problem with Saturns where the people that bought them. There cheap economical cars that get used abused and thrown away. If there were taking care of, you can get many miles out of them. I just sold a 95 Sl1 with 340k to a man that's going to turn it into a racecar. The timing chain jumped on it.

The only Saturn to stay away from are the Vues with CVT transmissions. Otherwise all Saturns are pretty reliable but underrated so can be good deals for cheap transportation. As for Mazda, I'd stay away just because the parts prices are very high, especially for dealer only parts. If looking at Impala, start with the new bodystyle in 2006. Not much more money but much nicer car. For Cavaliers and other GM J bodies like Pontiac Surfire, they are pretty good mechanically but are likely pretty rusty by that age. Post what city you are in and we can check Craigslist.

Agreed. Avoid the V6 in the L-series as well, otherwise the Saturn line is pretty solid.

nono not at all, im grateful for all the help! sounds good, i guess rust isnt just a cosmetic thing cuz too much undersides could mean bad for brake lines and other lines etc? or is it mostly a cosmetic thing

Rust isn't just cosmetic, especially if there is a lot of it. Strut mounts, springs, and other suspension components, brake lines, mufflers, sometimes even the floor pan! And even if there is no safety hazard, rusty cars are much more difficult to work on trying to get off frozen bolts

sorry dont mean to keep bumping old thread but something came to my mind. i believe someone has already answered this but just want the consensus decision / more info

if you had the choice of a 150k km 2001-2005 ish ford focus, pontiac g6, pontiac g5, dodge caliber etc etc other american vehicle around same price or VS a for example 250k km mazda 3, suzuki sx4, toyota echo, toyota matrix, etc

which one would you take or bank on running for 2-3 more years with 10,000 km a year? with minimal/no repair at all
for example lets say the condition is similar but we can't comment on the maintenance history, all we know is that they run and drive the same and the condition on the outside is the same

thx!

sorry dont mean to keep bumping old thread but something came to my mind. i believe someone has already answered this but just want the consensus decision / more info

if you had the choice of a 150k km 2001-2005 ish ford focus, pontiac g6, pontiac g5, dodge caliber etc etc other american vehicle around same price or VS a for example 250k km mazda 3, suzuki sx4, toyota echo, toyota matrix, etc

which one would you take or bank on running for 2-3 more years with 10,000 km a year? with minimal/no repair at all
for example lets say the condition is similar but we can't comment on the maintenance history, all we know is that they run and drive the same and the condition on the outside is the same

thx!
I would take a 250k Matrix over most of the others. Out of the first bunch of options, the focus if you find one that isn't rotten (rarely seen around here now). You have to crawl under and inspect the rockers from inside. They rot from the inside out. Once you see it they're gone.

thx!

Easy, I'd take the Toyota :)
4-cylinder Toyotas are very easy to work on and reliable.

One thing to know is that every 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, and Vibe odometer stops at 299999. After reaching that mileage, it stays at 299999 forever. In Canada, it's 299999 km. In the US, it's 299999 miles. However, they are still good cars.

Mazdas are rust-prone but otherwise good cars. The 04-09 Mazda 3 is the worst in terms of rust. If you can find one that has been Krowned annually, you will have no problems. Whatever car you get, whether it's a Mazda or any other car, Krown it at least once.

If the seller seems shady or untrustworthy, like they're trying to hide something, or are otherwise unpleasant to deal with, that is another consideration.

Also, you might like this Yaris, which is specifically advertised as rust-free and price negotiable. I also found these two Acuras (the Acura EL is a rebadged Civic that wasn't sold in the US)

My last car has 250k *miles* and I got almost 5 years out of it (ended with almost 300k), which is 400k and 480k km. I got rid of it due to rust.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: miles are mostly inconsequential. I've seen plenty of 50k mile vehicles that are destroyed, and seen things like the Jeep Grand Cherokee in my sig. I paid $400 for it with 252k miles, found on FB marketplace. Did the mileage bother me? Not at all. It had a new head gasket, new cooling system, new brake lines, new brakes, new PS pump, and was clean as could be on the inside. Not so much as a cig burn or pet hair. Yes, I had to put a couple hundred in it to make it suitable for a beater (steering stabilizer, new speakers to replace blown, new wiper blades, etc) however I couldn't imagine a better vehicle for the price and I have no doubt that it will last me quite a while. Is it rusty? Of course it is. I'm in MN, the truck is a Midwest truck, and it's old. The important thing is paying attention to WHERE the rust is. If the suspension, main chassis/floors/lines are in good shape (or serviceable, at least) then you're good to go. Rotten rockers or fender lips are no big deal.

For $2k US, I'd go with the others here and try to find a 4-cyl Toyota from the early to mid-2000's. Corolla, Camry, Matrix, Vibe, it really doesn't matter. The 1.8 1ZZ engine is bulletproof, aside from the known oil drinking. I had a '99 Corolla with the 1ZZ and 3-speed auto that was an absolute tank. 38 MPG with the AC cranking out 33 degree air with 253k miles on it. That car would have easily made 300k, and then some. Besides that, an original Saturn SL would be a great choice. Everything past those models is just a plastic-bodied version of another GM product, save the original Vue. Find one of those with the Honda 3.5 V6 and you're got a solid winner, I have seen them in the $2k range around here with higher miles. Throw a timing belt kit on it and change the trans fluid with Honda DW1 and you'll be good to go. Not the best built trucks, but they are crazy reliable.

Back