Are remanufactured OEM rims reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife hit the curve twice on the same steel rim on my 2003 Toyota Echo and destroyed its tire. After putting on a new tire I drove it on the highway for 30 miles with average speed 60 mph, and then the tire became flat. I put on the donut spare and limped to a tire shop to put on another new tire. Again the 2nd tire became flat under the same condition after 30 miles on the highway. I hope the 2nd new tire can be salvaged since I stopped the car a bit sooner.

1) I guess the steel rim was probably bent causing air leak, but visually I could not tell if it is bent. Can you think of any explanation other than a bent rim?

2) Can a bent steel rim be repaired at a local garage?

3) Assuming the rim is bent beyond repair for a replacement, should I buy a brand new or remanufactured OEM steel rim? The price difference is about $25. Do you have good experience with a remanufactured OEM rim that you can recommend a seller?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Severely bent. The tire shop should have caught it and refused to mount the tire on the rim. Find a good used rim to match. Search the junkyards in your area.

Make sure the stem isn't damaged. It is often overlooked.

I've worked on some farm/ranch vehicle with rims so bent you wonder how they still held air..... but they DO!

Arent those like 14" steelies? I wouldn't even sweat the $25 difference. Pay for what ever is more convenient and get on your way.

On the internet a so-call new OEM rim costs $95 (not affiliated with Toyota), and a remanufactured $71.55. My local Toyota dealer is asking for $240.

A possible bad stem. I am taking it to a local gas station to have it checked out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
A brand new steelie is about $60 online, maybe a bit more with shipping, here at Amazon and a used/reconditioned one here at Wheelsandcaps.com.
Pull-a-part list steel rims for $11.

Find one that works for you and avoid all the stress.

I have checked both of them, but their rim size is wider than factory 15x5 like 15x5.5 or more. Not sure if this matters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Make sure the stem isn't damaged. It is often overlooked.

I've worked on some farm/ranch vehicle with rims so bent you wonder how they still held air..... but they DO!

I just got the call from the service manager of a local gas station, and it turns out to be a bad stem. I thought a stem was always replaced when a new tire was mounted. Apparently this was overlooked by the guy I bought the tire from.

Thank you all for your opinions. Mystery solved.

Originally Posted by BigD1
http://www.car-part.com/

That website will hook you in to tons of junkyards for used parts.

I used to buy parts from this site long time ago, and I totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You might want to go back to the guy who didn't replace the stem and cost you a brand new tire.

From the experience of the first flat I did not drive on the second flat very long. Good thing the new tire was not damaged which I just drove home with from the gas station. The leaking stem was a cheap rubber one. The new stem I got has a better quality with a vinyl sleeve on it. A lesson learned. I am thinking of having the stems of the other three tires replaced with quality ones.

Last edited:
Glad the problem is solved .

I was going to suggest the bent wheel may have been cracked .

Still , I would shop for a good wheel from a salvage yard .

Originally Posted by sifan

My local Toyota dealer is asking for $240 ...

33.gif

For a 15 inch steelie ??? Gotta love the dealers parts prices ...

An after market steelie in that size will be MAYBE $ 50. Used OE should be even less.

Glad you found the problem. I'm not sure if all shops replace the stem every time; if they advertise it, sure, but if they don't advertise it, it might be an upsell item. I've reused valves a couple of times but since I get new tires every 2 years typically, they are hardly old.

I'd think a badly bent rim would not balance very well, and would have been found when the new tires were installed.

Originally Posted by BigD1
http://www.car-part.com/

That website will hook you in to tons of junkyards for used parts.

A junkyard will be glad to sell you a dirty scratched used wheel for $60 plus $25 shipping when you can get a new aftermarket one for $50 delivered to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back