Are reconditioned alloy wheels better than replica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out our new vibe came with a couple slightly bent alloy wheels. (thought it was just out of balance tires.) and I can get reconditioned factory alloys for about the same price as replica alloys, which would be better? I don't know if I like the idea of bent back into shape alloy or is this not an issue?? Would the replicas not be as strong as the factory alloys?? I could also get cheap aftermarket wheels for that matter but I didn't think they would be as strong as a factory wheel either. The way they keep up roads in this economy, I just don't want to get new wheels only for them to get ruined in short order.

Thanks!

Cheap aftermarkets and replicas (China) are becoming known for a wide range of problems including catastrophic failure. Literally breaking in 2 cornering. Better of with a reconditioned factory alloy. But even then would wonder what reconditioning does to the stability of an alloy.

I ran a reconditioned factory alloy on my Volvo 850 for a long time. Same issue that you've got, it had been dinged by a curb (previous owner...), and wouldn't balance...the reconditioned alloy was great. I got it here: http://www.wheelcollision.com/

I would trust reconditioned long before I would buy a cheap offshore replacement...read up on how these guys recondition the wheels...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Cheap aftermarkets and replicas (China) are becoming known for a wide range of problems including catastrophic failure. Literally breaking in 2 cornering. Better of with a reconditioned factory alloy. But even then would wonder what reconditioning does to the stability of an alloy.

I have run plenty of replicas. Never ever had a problem, even after autocross and track days. I stick with replicas that Discount Tire sells, which are made by TSW or Voxx.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I stick with replicas that Discount Tire sells, which are made by TSW or Voxx.

I don't consider TSW a "replica" level product as they are a very high quality wheel company in their own right, even if the spoke/offset patterns mimic Audi's OEM wheels.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I stick with replicas that Discount Tire sells, which are made by TSW or Voxx.

I don't consider TSW a "replica" level product as they are a very high quality wheel company in their own right, even if the spoke/offset patterns mimic Audi's OEM wheels.

Oddly, TSW and Voxx do not print their name anywhere on the box, the website, or even the wheel. Not sure why they don't bother putting their names on it.

Especially with "hubcentric" wheels, the tolerances have to be OEM quality for things to work right especially with strut type suspension. I doubt a good rehab wheel outfit will let one out without it being true. Easy enough to check.

Don't go for replica wheels that do not get stress and load tested. I had a set that completely cracked on me while I was on the highway.

If you're going for new wheels, go with a brand name thats preferably been TUV certified.

Depends I'd expect quality reconditioned wheels to be excellent.

and brand name quality knockoffs to be great also.

you will most likely get what you pay for..

stay away from the no name knockoffs if that is a concern.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I have run plenty of replicas. Never ever had a problem, even after autocross and track days. I stick with replicas that Discount Tire sells, which are made by TSW or Voxx.

Glad it hasn't happened to you, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Imagine some overseas operation. They have an order for knockoffs/replica's, but lack or can't afford the correct ingredients. Little of this, little of that. Who's going to know? Order complete.

The internet is loaded with examples. Note: No evidence of a rim impact on either pic.

BBS_Center_Fail1276715717.jpg

crackedreplica2.JPG

As I stated earlier, its just an unnecessary risk in my eyes for a little "bling."

Flatbed / new tire / wheel repair costs later I have decided there is no point going with shady wheel companies that are not load and stress tested with no R&D involved.

Stay away from replica. A lot of them tend to use cheap cast rather than forge for the same style and that means it can easily crack when you hit a pot hole.

If you want to buy aftermarket, buy those that also make OEM rims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back