Are Pennzoil and QS the same nowadays?

I did not say I thought they were the same. It's been shown that they are not. I said your particular reasoning - that they must be different because you see no point in two brands of identical product - is faulty.

It's like if you said the sky is blue because elves paint it. It is blue, but not for that reason.
I didn’t say there was no point in two brands of identical product. I said in this case they’re different because they’re two different brands in this instance and they’re not the same.

I didn’t say there was no point in two brands of identical product. I said in this case they’re different because they’re two different brands in this instance and they’re not the same.
You said "If they were the same, they wouldn't have 2 different brands for it."

This is stating that the existence of different brands proves the contents are different.

You said "If they were the same, they wouldn't have 2 different brands for it."

This is stating that the existence of different brands proves the contents are different.
Yes, in the context of the two of them being Pennzoil Platinum and the other being Quaker State. I’m glad you finally see what I’m saying and agree.

Yes, in the context of the two of them being Pennzoil Platinum and the other being Quaker State. I’m glad you finally see what I’m saying and agree.
I do not agree, and you are being deliberately obtuse.

There additive package is different QS is group 3 there will time where gtl will used when shell surplus or base available supply still meet all certifications
The additive package has nothing to do with the base stock Group designation.

I do not agree, and you are being deliberately obtuse.
So you think Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State are the same oils? Interesting flex but okay. The only person being obtuse here is you by not understanding plain English and context.

Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State synthetic are made by the same company, bottled in the same jugs and likely share some components but they are two different oils.

Well if they were the same, wouldn’t Shell want to pocket even more of that big oil money by streamlining their packaging and marketing? Yep, they probably would. 😎🍻

Quaker State is an established brand with dedicated customers. Killing a valuable brand name to streamline packaging and production. probably would result in resentment towards Shell and Pennzoil rather than bring Quaker State users over to Pennzoil.

So you think Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State are the same oils? Interesting flex but okay. The only person being obtuse here is you by not understanding plain English and context.
Again, your plain English said, "If they were the same, they wouldn't have 2 different brands for it." That could not be more clear. It says that things that are the same do not have different brands. This is false, but you offered it as evidence they are not the same.

They are, in fact, not the same, as I've stated. But the reasoning you offered is not evidence for it, because that reasoning is faulty. There is evidence that they are different, but your originally stated reason is not part of that evidence.

You clearly understand this and are trying to obfuscate the issue. If you want to pretend you didn't say it, or pretend the words don't mean what they mean, I can't make you be honest. But nobody's fooled.

Unless, of course, this is all an elaborate troll, in which case, congratulations, you got me.

Quaker State is an established brand with dedicated customers. Killing a valuable brand name to streamline packaging and production. probably would result in resentment towards Shell and Pennzoil rather than bring Quaker State users over to Pennzoil.
But once the marketing gurus at shell made it clear to those customers that they were buying Shell products all along, they would probably make the switch to stay with their "brand' or "company" of choice. :unsure:
There again, I'm looking at this from a different point of view than those customers that you're referring to that have no clue as to who makes their product of choice. I may be way off in my assessment of what Shell would do in that situation, but who knows? I suppose it really doesn't matter because the two oils are different, so it's all neither here nor there. ;) 🍻

Again, your plain English said, "If they were the same, they wouldn't have 2 different brands for it." That could not be more clear. It says that things that are the same do not have different brands. This is false, but you offered it as evidence they are not the same.

They are, in fact, not the same, as I've stated. But the reasoning you offered is not evidence for it, because that reasoning is faulty. There is evidence that they are different, but your originally stated reason is not part of that evidence.

You clearly understand this and are trying to obfuscate the issue. If you want to pretend you didn't say it, or pretend the words don't mean what they mean, I can't make you be honest. But nobody's fooled.

Unless, of course, this is all an elaborate troll, in which case, congratulations, you got me.
I’m sorry you don’t understand the English language and context. I don’t know what else to say to you except you have a strange mind and your logic makes no sense.

But once the marketing gurus at shell made it clear to those customers that they were buying Shell products all along, they would probably make the switch to stay with their "brand' or "company" of choice. :unsure:
There again, I'm looking at this from a different point of view than those customers that you're referring to that have no clue as to who makes their product of choice. I may be way off in my assessment of what Shell would do in that situation, but who knows? I suppose it really doesn't matter because the two oils are different, so it's all neither here nor there. ;) 🍻
Ah, but to look from a different view of the buying public; the brand choice is often emotional, not logical. Not sure I could predict either way. :)
It's nice to have a civil discussion with a gentleman.

I feel like when GM killed Pontiac, there really wasn’t resentment or people not buying products because they killed it. Now, they might not have bought GM products in the future because the other brands didn’t fit their purchasing style but not a lot of people exclusively because they dropped the brand.

When Shell bought Quaker State, it was #2 in US PCMO market share. Along with #1 Pennzoil, and Wolf's Head, they paid almost $2 billion in 2002. QS may or may not be #2 anymore, but speculation on discontinuing the brand for consolidation purposes is way out there. The NA PCMO market is much larger and complicated than what some DIYers see on the shelf at Walmart or Autozone.

They probably use a lot of the same base stocks and additives, but the overall formulation is different (where the formulation is determined by percentages of each base stock and quantities of each additive).

Back