Are Pennzoil and QS the same nowadays?

I know that Pennzoil and Quaker State are both owned by Sopus products but I noticed at the store today that the design of the bottle is exactly the same except one is obviously green and the other is yellow.

Are the two brands formulated differently or is it the same stuff in two different colored bottles?

I would bet they’re formulated different but having worked as a chemical engineer for a lot of years now I wouldn’t be surprised if they are very similar, lots of times companies will try to create savings by labeling nearly identical products differently. I like the penzoil a lot, nothing against QS just never grabbed a bottle.

Based on the physical characteristics, they're not the same, but SOPUS doesn't make the relative formulas of their oil obvious in their Material Safety Data Sheets, so its hard to nail down ratios and exact oil types.

As per the MSDS's, SOPUS claims both QSFS and PP to consist of up to 90% "interchangeable low viscosity base oil"

I suspect that Pennzoil Platinum would be mostly GTL base stocks and that Quaker State Full Synthetic would be mostly Group III base stocks to profitably meet their price points while still passing all their tests, but the exact ratios at any given time may swing depending on supply prices.

Compare the PDS's.

Many products across all industries use the same container. It means nothing at face value.

The same jug means nothing. Rotella (SOPUS as well) uses the exact same design and it's diesel oil. As another point of comparison, Rotella 2.5 gal jugs are the exact same jug (aside from color) as the Mobil Delvac Super 1300 2.5 gal jugs. Clearly not the same product. That said, I can still see where some confusion could come in seeing as QS and Pennzoil are made by the same parent company.

No they are not. If they were the same, they wouldn't have 2 different brands for it.
I can't agree with this reasoning. There are plenty of identical products sold under multiple brands.

Unless you were being facetious and I missed the joke...?

There additive package is different QS is group 3 there will time where gtl will used when shell surplus or base available supply still meet all certifications

They're not the same. I've written in the forum about bulk delivery procedures that address this.
The price difference is primarily because Quaker State deliberately receives much less marketing support, positioning it as a price leader in the premium market.

I can't agree with this reasoning. There are plenty of identical products sold under multiple brands.

Unless you were being facetious and I missed the joke...?
You can not agree all you like. But just because you disagree doesn’t mean they’re the same. They’re not the same according to product data sheets, VOAs, and UOAs.

The exception might be the Euro’s. Here is a screen shot of the 0w30 LX I use in the winter.

C6AE5AB0-AACF-40AB-BA3F-F97B7664261C.png

Last edited:
You can not agree all you like. But just because you disagree doesn’t mean they’re the same. They’re not the same according to product data sheets, VOAs, and UOAs.
I did not say I thought they were the same. It's been shown that they are not. I said your particular reasoning - that they must be different because you see no point in two brands of identical product - is faulty.

It's like if you said the sky is blue because elves paint it. It is blue, but not for that reason.

Last edited:
Back