Are OS Upgrades Close to Being Clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been ages since I've upgraded an operating system on a machine. I ususally just wipe the drive and start over. With the Windows 7 upgrade options, I'm thinking of jumping in. However, I'm not familiar with how clean upgrading an OS actually is. Would I be better off just getting a full install disc and wiping my drive out? Thoughts?

I currently do have Vista on both machines I would be considering the upgrade on.

I wouldn't upgrade an OS if it is not a clean install, there are way too many registry entries and configuration files that may cause problem, why chance it?

Think of it this way: your hard drive can die suddenly one day, and you need to keep a backup of all important data on a regular basis, so why not just back them up before you start reinstalling from scratch?

The last thing you want is after an upgrade you found out that some of your applications or drivers doesn't work, and you have to redo the whole thing again.

There is likely a workaround to do a clean install with the Windows7 upgrade disk. Can't guarantee it, but every upgrade OS package from MS has been able to do a clean install (Vista was a pain, but possible).

Is windows 7 really much better than vista? smaller footprint? less Ram requirement?

Vista uses about 1000 MB of ram. Windows 7 735 MB. It's a tad quicker and also sharper graphics. Windows 7 does have added features making it a better OS. This was comparing with a Vista 64 bit with 4 gb ram.

If you have Windows XP it's a huge gain well worth the upgrade. Vista graphics is superior to XP smoother and sharper.

All I know is W7 runs faster (slightly) than XP on my machine. I had vista (the disc) and after use on a few machines that were more than enough to handle Vista, I sold it and will never look back. Too much UAC [censored], when you're the admin. Too many stop respondings. Too much like windows ME.

I paid for the upgrade disc (W7)while they have the special. $100 sure beats paying for what I need to try and think about what Vista won't do for me.

I haven't been able to use my Beta and Or RC version of W7 to it's fullest because I'm lacking a good graphics card. a new PC is coming in the near future. I can't complain, that my home build Socket A system has gone 6yrs, and the only failures were from a Maxtor HD, and the Antec PSU

Last edited:
I think I read that the Windows 7 upgrade diks are capable of a clean install over Vista. Also UAC can be shut off to reduce the thinks that it asks you about in Vista to make it more like Windows 7. I am going to order a Windows 7 Pro upgrade for my new desktop machine that I just built (currently running the Windows 7 RC) and Windows 7 Premium for my laptop (currently running Vista Basic).

I'll give you some information:

Upgrades are always worse than fresh Installs:

1) You still retain half the [censored] that was on previous OS(apps garbage, virii etc that you may or may not want).

2) Registry information is also ported over, take that for what you will.

3) Doing a clean install will allow you to only install the applications and documents you NEED, no extra clutter. That comes later when you use the computer for many months =).

Windows 7, is FAR FAR better than Windows Vista. Everything seems far more responsive, less bloat, peppier and the UI just feels natural. While Vista was a dressed up XP, Windows 7 is a refined Vista with a Linux style/Mac OSX task bar. Its a nice touch and adds functionality. Memory management seems far better in 7 too, as if they really tweaked it and improved it. Vista just seemed to run smooth, then would chug. My experience with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions lends me to say even if you have only 2GB of memory and a good 64bit CPU, install the 64bit Windows 7.

32-bit Vista ran like garbage on my Fiance's laptop:

1.6ghz C2D
2GB Memory
Intel GMA 950.
120GB 5400 RPM HDD.

Same laptop, Windows 7 just flies, Firefox, IE8 etc all open quickly, there is no "waiting", things just open, software works. Driver's are already good to go(you can use the Vista drivers).

My laptop:
2.4ghz C2D Penryn
4GB Memory
Nvidia 8600M GT 256
320GB 7200 RPM WD Scorpio

64bit Vista to 64bit Windows 7, night and day difference in terms of speed. Boot up time is faster, OS litterally "blazing" fast.

Fiance's laptop is able to play games that she normally was not able to, [censored] SIMS 3 runs SMOOTH under 7, and barely playable under Vista. From a usability and gaming perspective, Windows 7 is XP Enhanced and Vista -reworked. Meshing the two, and creating something that works. It's everything that should have been Vista but better.

I suggest you give the Windows 7 RC1 a try, its free for 1 year. I used XP up until the Vista Alpha was released years ago, used the Alpha, Beta, RC1 of Vista, bought Vista and used it through 32-bit to 64-bit and Windows 7 trounces it. I'd invest in an external or secondary hdd and back up your important documents, games etc onto the drive and give 7RC1 a try.

Last edited:
I agree that Win7 rocks. I've had the RC for a long time.

Thanks for all the insites. I'm going to go with what I've always done with OS installs. . . clean and new install.

A point which has been overlooked in this discussion is that even though one of the Win 7 purchasing options has been described as an upgrade, that only refers to pricing and the necessity for a preexisting Windows version. Unless your current version is Vista, the installation itself is automatically from a clean drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back