Are Lucas Oil Products Really That Bad ??

I see a lot of negative opinions on Lucas Oil Products here. The general consensus seems to be, "anything but Lucas". Are their products really that bad? Or is this a carry over, much like the way the whole "Fram Filters suck", deal formulated? They sure seem to sell a lot of everything they make. I read Morgan Lucas's net worth is something north of $500 Million. I'll admit to having used their "Red & Tacky" grease, and found it to be as good or better than most of what's out there. But I'll admit that I've never bought much else from them.

The exception is their "Gun Oil", which I wasn't too thrilled about. I ended up buying 3 bottles of it, and all 3 were a different color. Makes me wonder if they drain off whatever is left in the barrels, and that becomes the, "Gun Oil Of The Month".

Has anyone had any direct bad experiences that sent them away from Lucas Products?

I believe it has to do more with the LUCAS Oil Stabilizer and not every single product that Lucas makes.

In testing, it was found out that there is nothing(no add pkg) in the LUCAS Oil Stabilizer other than just being thicker oil and a lower group oil at that(group I), compared to motor oils that start out as a Group II/III or higher.

And the fact that we can get all we need in any approved motor oil. If you want a thicker oil, just buy a thicker oil and not a thin oil(e.g., 5W20/5W30/10W30) and then thicken it up with LUCAS Oil Stabilizer. Because that's all you'd be doing and why spend the extra $10?

A question to ask yourself is..."What do you think is NOT in your motor oil, that you believe you need to use LUCAS" ?
'Cause there ain't nutin' in it! o_O

If you want e.g., 10W40/15W40/20W50, just buy it and you'll be getting all of the additives you need.

Last edited:
The problem we have is with their additives, they're essentially selling you a quart of ~100CSt brightstock for like $10 and promoting it as a useful product when all it does is dillute oil additive package and thicken it and make it behave more like gear oil, which there's the obvious problem with diluting the additive package, but there's also the problem with making the oil to have an indeterminate W rating, also if an oil with the properties of gear oil was beneficial in an ICE with pressure fed journal bearings, I'd think the auto manufacturers and the API/ACEA would be all over that, note that I don't know of any oil you can buy off the shelf that's been pre-"stabilized" ... hmm I wonder why, maybe because oil with the overly tacky property of gear oil is actually undesirable inside an ICE and is counter-intuitive of the anti foaming properties expected of motor oil.

Fuel stuff is good….

That's the stuff I had doubts about. Most everything I've come across as far as fuel system additives and cleaners for the newer modern cars, say to use a product that has PEA, (Polyetheramine). And of those Gumout Multi System Tune Up, along with several other of their fuel additive products all have it. (Not to sure about Lucas's stuff).

only thing i ever used from Lucas was their transmission fix ,,saved two Chevy trans from being rebuilt , both got 50K on them after the Lucas ..not all that sure what the Lucas did but in my book the stuff worked great and saved me a lot of cash and headaches

only thing i ever used from Lucas was their transmission fix ,,saved two Chevy trans from being rebuilt , both got 50K on them after the Lucas ..not all that sure what the Lucas did but in my book the stuff worked great and saved me a lot of cash and headaches
Same, bought my parents a lot of time with that Lucas magic when their '01 Accord transmission was dying at 263k. Managed to make it another 12k miles after a drain and fill with Lucas

Not an oil additive fan, I feel especially on the oil additive side good oil is being altered for what? Oil already has additive packs blended in.

Fuel additive such as stabil doesn’t bother me that I use. And every oil change which is 2x yr I run a tank of chevron Techron or red bottle stp.

I’d maybe try a Lucas fuel additive if comparable to chevron or stp red. I’d stay clear of their oil additives. Good Oil doesn’t need to be “supercharged” or so called enhanced.

Sounds like many of their oil products are patterned off the old STP marketing hype.... "The Racers Edge". A lot of thick B.S. But it made Andy Granatelli a multi millionaire, so why not Morgan Lucas?

Lucas
That's the stuff I had doubts about. Most everything I've come across as far as fuel system additives and cleaners for the newer modern cars, say to use a product that has PEA, (Polyetheramine). And of those Gumout Multi System Tune Up, along with several other of their fuel additive products all have it. (Not to sure about Lucas's stuff).
Lucas Deep Clean is a PEA based cleaner. It is very good. Lucas UCL has polyisobutylene (PIB) and polyisobutylene succinic anhydride (PIBSA). Both compounds are dispersants and detergents. I use both products.

I just don't trust their marketing. Some have good results with the grease and cleaners. But with how they sell the stabilizer, all their products are kept away from my vehicles.

I just don't trust their marketing. Some have good results with the grease and cleaners. But with how they sell the stabilizer, all their products are kept away from my vehicles.

I can't imagine what they spent on all of those little geared hand cranks you see in all the stores. It must work, they sure sell a lot of it.

Fuel stuff is good….
It smells and tastes good (Yes, I did) But didnt seem to do anything, compared to just dyed Lamp oil or
a Old World industries SAE30 ND and some paint thinner in my Mazda that I was trying to nurse back from a bad tank of Mobil gasoline. Then I put in Chevron Techron (that I have always hated - but gets love here) and then I got long cranking issues the next day that persisted for months.

At least the Lucas presumably did no harm, and likely has a strong Placebo value.
-Ken

I've never used their products. certain additives and oil seem like hyped-up lies. Amsoil and Redline products are like this to me. yeah I know, If you pay twice as much as Leading synthetic oils it must be twice as good.

I agree with the stabilizer and trans additives being frowned upon here. I use their complete fuel system cleaner often.

I believe some of the trans help products they have, help by raising the viscosity of heavily sheared fluid already in an old non maintained transmission. 🤷‍♂️

Back