Are Lucas Oil Products Really That Bad ??

I tried their UCL about ten years ago. Did it really do anything besides remove $5 from my wallet? Probably not; at least not in a way that I could detect. That was the first and last time I purchased anything from their product line.

I recently used some of their diesel fuel treatment on my Deere 8400 tractor. It was running like absolute snot and throwing a code for "injector rack position error". Apparently this isn't uncommon and generally requires a fuel injection pump overhaul. I couldn't get a slot in the shop for two weeks and by then my tillage window would be closed by wet weather. I put a double dose (per instructions) in the diesel and within half a tank (about 5 hours of operation) the engine cleared up and has been running great since. Its also not throwing codes now either. From my personal experience, I'd say that at least as far as their fuel treatment goes, it does have some benefit.

Lucas Octane Boost works good, I would never use their upper cylinder lubricant crap, oil stabilizer or fuel conditioners though.

Their racing motor oil is high in zinc, which is great for engine rebuilds instead of throwing in break-in oil into an engine that takes 5W-30, and then throwing in straight SAE 30. There's 10W-30 break-in oils which I suppose could work too, I'm not an expert on this.

Last edited:
I take no issue with the company or their products. I like their Red N Tacky grease, their semi synthetic 2 stroke oil, and I recently discovered I really like their extreme duty gun oil. One thing Lucas does right is getting their product into stores. Go to any kind of store that has any reason to sell an oil product, chances are at least one Lucas product is on the shelf. You don't usually have to go out of your way to find what you want. I also like that they are avid supporters of Motorsports and firearms. That's just my 2 cents.

I know there hydraulic conditioner is greatest stuff on earth! I have more then a dozen hydraulic Char-lynn motors in service. Since 1993 I have had to replace at least 1 motor every year (leaking seals). Around 1997 I started adding 20% conditioner to all my tanks. In 30 years I have only replace 2 motors! In 2005 we rebuilt our car wash and added another power pac (new Char-lynn motor) with a new piece of equipment. Within 2 years one of the motors started to leak?? We never added the conditioner to the new power pac! We added the conditioner (it does not stop pre-existing leak) and we replace the motor, that was over 14 years ago. I now have 1 motor (from 93) thats just started to leak. That motor was from original install! Although back then the motors were inexpensive but always a P I T A to replace. Now motors cost from $300 to $600, but its not the cost of the motor it's the down time and labor replacing motor. Lucas conditioner has save me 1,000's of $$ and lost revenue having to close and replace motors, besides cost and time replacing cloth from equipment saturated with hydraulic oil! We did same with there synthetic gear oil when we had to replace a gearbox (have 4 of them) since using synthetic gear lube back in 97 have not replaced any gearboxes. Same with a1995 Jeep I had (notorius 4wd transfer case). after replaceing one in my 95 Jeep added lucas gearbox that jeep ran for another 200,000 miles w/o a problem. Attached is one of 6 original motors from 1993 almost 30 years old and still working!!!

Attachments

• Resized_20220314_085256.jpg
    Resized_20220314_085256.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 26
Wife's Chrysler minivan has developed valve tick. Mechanic friend told me to try a bottle of Lucas, which I did at the last oil change with Max Life 5w-20, 5 qts oil + 1 qt Lucas. The stuff does pour out like Heinz ketchup. Sure enough, after a couple weeks the engine got quieter. Changed the oil today after 5000 miles and the old oil was kinda foamy, an odd look that I've never seen before. Put in Valvoline HM Synthetic and another bottle of Lucas. Wife just paid it off two weeks ago so we'll look at getting new rocker arms with her new money.

Wife's Chrysler minivan has developed valve tick. Mechanic friend told me to try a bottle of Lucas, which I did at the last oil change with Max Life 5w-20, 5 qts oil + 1 qt Lucas. The stuff does pour out like Heinz ketchup. Sure enough, after a couple weeks the engine got quieter. Changed the oil today after 5000 miles and the old oil was kinda foamy, an odd look that I've never seen before. Put in Valvoline HM Synthetic and another bottle of Lucas. Wife just paid it off two weeks ago so we'll look at getting new rocker arms with her new money.
I'd just run a 5w30 or 0w40 . How loud is the tick? Do you know for sure if needs rocker arms? Lucas is thick but dilutes the quality of the oils add pack. Not a fan of Lucas.

I'd just run a 5w30 or 0w40 . How loud is the tick? Do you know for sure if needs rocker arms? Lucas is thick but dilutes the quality of the oils add pack. Not a fan of Lucas.
A good bit of research plus what the dealer told me says that it's the rocker arms. My cousin owns a repair shop and told me there is a TSB on it but when I gave the dealer the VIN they said it wasn't covered plus we're over the mileage limit.
The dealer said sometimes you can get by with just the rocker arms for $1400 but if they're too far gone then you need to get reman heads.

It got foamy because it was dosed with super cheap VII and Group I garbage with no additives.

If heavier oil makes it quieter, just run heavier oil.

Our 2018 Toyota manual "recommends" 0W-16 oil. And I'm assuming that is what was in the crankcase when we bought it. I drained that crap out at 450 miles and went with 0W-20. The engine was noticeably quieter after the change. Especially when hot at idle, with the engine up to operating temperature.

The oil change after that I went with 0W-30, and that is all I've used ever since. The engine is quieter still. I would just run 5W-30 or 0W-40 like "spasm 3" said. You'll save yourself some money, and not have that Lucas crap in your crankcase.

And you may save yourself from having to buy new rocker arms. Most of these new engines are running oils that are way too thin...... Except in frigid Winter climates.

And you may save yourself from having to buy new rocker arms. Most of these new engines are running oils that are way too thin...... Except in frigid Winter climates.
Which is determined by the winter rating and is not the same as the operating viscosity.

Back