Are gallon bottles of antifreeze still made that have the window on the side so you can see the level?

Just as the title says. This is driving me nuts.

It used to be that the READY TO USE bottles had a window on the side, so you could see how much was actually in the jug, and how much you are pouring. The CONCENTRATED - ADD WATER ones most of the time did not.

Now I don't see them at all.

I have resorted to marking gallon water jugs with Sharpies to mark levels.. and I don't know if the savings used to be greater in buying one gallon Concentrate and then walking across the store to get one gallon Distilled water, I learned from the "Don't pay for the water" folks, referencing that you came out ahead if you bought Concentrate then a gallon.. now it seems like maybe a buck or two depending on if they have aReady To Pour $8.99 and a Concentrate $12.97 or something. I do not know.

But. IS there a bottle that has the level? WHERE?

I have to add a half gallon a week or so to the OVERFLOW on my Subie. No idea if that's normal or not. Everything is fine on the car.

I guess it doesn't take much to drive some people nuts these days. That said, just look inside the gallon jug in a well lit area and slide your finger down the outside of the jug...you will be able to see the shadow of your finger on the inside of the bottle and when it hits the liquid level, you will be able to discern how much fluid is in the jug. Boom, it's like magic, no sight window needed.

I think Peak still does. I don’t think my Prestone here at home does. Oh yeah and a bottle of Valvoline Zerex still does. I prefer the window but as long as it’s not the pre diluted stuff I’ll use it.

I'm more than likely going to seek out a Zerex because I think you are right. That may become my mixing bottle...

I'm more than likely going to seek out a Zerex because I think you are right. That may become my mixing bottle...
Yep I always see them at the store and at home with the window on them. If it wasn’t so expensive I’d buy more of that brand lol.

Yes on the Valvoline Zerex

Attachments

• 9A28924E-AF0C-4C06-BC55-CCF1A81AAB97.jpeg
    9A28924E-AF0C-4C06-BC55-CCF1A81AAB97.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 4
Maybe stick a flashlight into the opening and you'll be able to see the level on the side of the bottle?

Id much rather just glance at it. I have to do the Flashlight trick to check my coolant overflow tank.

Looks like at some point I'll spend the $20 - $20!!! - for the Zerex Asian Vehicle. I did however hear you aren't supposed to mix antifreeze. My Subie takes regular green..

When the vehicle is old enough, you have to do that for the brake and power steering reservoirs as well

I do my best to wipe grime off the sides.

I have a decent amount of "dirt" in the overflow..maybe one day I'll clean it somehow, would kill me to get a new one when there's nothing wrong with it.

Back