Are Filters on New Cars Different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Ford Fusion with the 2.5 engine. The filter is not a standard Motorcraft filter, but it does say "FOMOCO" on it I think (hard to see all around it).

The car has an OLM and the first change probably won't trigger for 10,000 miles.

Given that there will be more wear metals floating around during the first few thousand miles, do the factory original filters have a higher capacity and/or filtration specs?

Is it reasonable that a filter would last 10,000 miles during initial break-in?

JMHO, but I prefer an early first oil change for a new engine. Opinions will vary, of course.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
JMHO, but I prefer an early first oil change for a new engine. Opinions will vary, of course.

I am in the early first change club also.

But to answer the original question, the filter is NOT extra capacity to my knowledge, but should still last the 10k and is the same filtration etc as will be used later.

Last edited:
In the case of the FoMoCo assembly line filter it has a different manufacturer than the Motorcraft over the counter OEM. As the link below shows it is made by Champ (now under Fram) and appears to be very well made. Imo, it's good for the recommended oci/fci interval.

Now as for whether you want to change the oil and filter some time before the 10k mi. interval to get the wear metals out, that's is up to you. I'd lean that way, but that's jmo. But the OE filter is up to the task either way.

Scroll
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2352041/1

On my new cars I always change oil and filter at 2500-3000 miles
After that just go by what the mfg says

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Hmmm.... Is the assembly line filter basically the same as a Fram Ultra?
Not sure you can directly compare the two.

The OEM Ford filters have always been made by Champion Laboratories, which has only recently become Fram Filtration, so there's no family "heritage". Plus, the OEM and the aftermarket Motorcraft brand both have the bypass valve at the threaded end (mostly a Ford thing), while the XG2 has it at the dome end.

The assembly line filter is used on the assembly line only and Ford does not sell this exact filter to the customer. The reason is if the customer never changes their oil filter and then complains to Ford that their engine is ruined, Ford can use that against the customer when the customer sues Ford in court.
Years ago, I cut one open. At that time, there was nothing really special about it.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

The assembly line filter is used on the assembly line only and Ford does not sell this exact filter to the customer. The reason is if the customer never changes their oil filter and then complains to Ford that their engine is ruined, Ford can use that against the customer when the customer sues Ford in court.
Years ago, I cut one open. At that time, there was nothing really special about it.

Honda does the same thing, as the original filter looked different than the typical A01/A02 and was made in Japan when I changed the oil in my mom's 2013 Fit recently.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I would think the filter media would have to have a much higher dirt holding capacity, and a higher efficiency rating than a Motorcraft. Can't really tell how good the filter media is just looking at it unless it's damaged.

Anyone have any insight into the filter media differences?

I have no doubt that it would last 10K though I did not leave it on that long on my 2014 Explorer because I wanted to dump the break-in metals. The standard MC filters (500s for my Explorer) can go 10K, I have ran a FL-820s for 10K, and just pulled a FL-500s with 9,200 miles on it.

Have a look at the internals of the OEM 500s with 1,905 miles here.

Have a look at the internals of the FL-500s with 9,245 miles here.

Not really.

The Ultra is a full synthetic media filter with dome bypass. The FoMoCo oem has thread end bypass same as the Motorcraft. And the FoMoCo is not full synthetic media. It 'might' be some kind of a blend, but more likely cellulose. As it's oe/oem though most information is kept proprietary. As said, in the linked thread it 'looks' most like an M1 also made by Champ, but beyond appearance features hard tell exact specs. And didn't mean to imply it's better than the Motorcraft OEM as I've seen no proof of that being the case. Just a different supplier for the assembly line filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back