Are CVT’s something to stay away from?

The only reason we got the CRV was because of the 90* open rear doors for the kids and car seats. If the CRV didn’t have that or the CX5 did, we were getting the CX5.

The CX5 is a very nice vehicle...unfortunately, many automakers are vying away from simple knobs to control the HVAC/radio; this will drive them away from any new car purchase (no pun intended). I don't think that they'd like the console mounted knob arrangement on the CX5.

Toyota's CVT's are, in my opinion, excellent, but I don't know that they'd be overly enthused about the RAV4's interior.

This leaves them with the CRV, or with the Santa Fe, although the CRV's hybrid option is very attractive. I'm kinda going bonkers trying to point them to a vehicle, because many vehicles have quirks that they will not tolerate.

I do agree that for younger buyers, the CX5 offers an unbeatable package; Mazda makes refined, attractive, quality, automobiles.

Back to the OP's topic: Toyota's CVT's are the only CVT's that I have 100% faith in.

This is getting away a little bit from the OPs original post but I haven't seen the OP respond/chime in since posting. Sooooo anywaaaay...

IDK how old NDL's parents are but they need to sit in, look out & test drive any of new SUVs that they're considering or is being recommended to them. It's not about which vehicle scores higher according to the Automotive PRESS, it's about which vehicle is right for them and more than just one or two, or even three things.

If they are considering a Compact SUV(RAV, CRV, CX5, Rogue, Equinox etc., size vehicle) and yes, this size is considered COMPACT, They Are All Good!
But it's about everyday livability and normal-ness. How about which vehicle is easiest to ingress/egress for parents? Does it deliver its power the way they like?
Again, IDK how old they are. It's different for parents in their 50s and even more different for parents in their 70s. It's not about which one is better(again, they're all good), it's about which one is right for them.

Appreciate the post; they're both approaching their 80th birthdays.

Right off the bat, the two factors that would immediate disqualify a vehicle from their consideration are ingress/egress issues, and (appearingly complicated) radio/HVAC controls. Next up would be styling, which is subjective, and what's thought to be too firm of a ride.

Photo's give me an idea of how steeply raked a windshield is, and them having to duck around the A pillar as they enter/exit a vehicle; same with the controls.

Thus far, what's appealing about the CR'V is her perceived quality/reliability, controls, easy ingress/egress, size, price, and they'd appreciate the faux wood that adorns the interior.

They currently lease a 2019 Santa Fe; the vehicle is inoffensive and utilitarian, and they aren't in love with it. The nice thing about the CR-V is her hybrid option, which is attractive as gas prices climb. Mileage isn't overly impressive on the highway however.

They liked their friends' Equinox a lot, and what's nice about the Equinox is that they have a long relationship with the local Buick/Chevy dealership; it's an unusually good/competent/fair dealer. The next vehicle will be a purchase however, and I do not like, nor trust, Chevy's powertrain offerings in the Equinox.

Last edited:
My FIL(RIP 2020) had a 2018 SantaFe Sport 2WD that the family sold. Although it was nice to drive and reasonably quiet & roomy, it also had very small & poorly lit font on the HVAC & radio/infotainment controls that this would be a deal breaker for me. And fuel economy for the standard 2.4 non turbo 4 cyl was also poor.

Back