Are current oil deals normal or a sign of something unusual?

Maybe my memory is failing, so others with a better memory please chime in. Oil deals certainly occur all the time, but does the current level of deals and clearances and rebates seem abnormal to anyone else? Perhaps it's just me not having paid more attention in the past, but the current speed at which companies are blowing out oil at near give-away prices, while everything else is apparently appreciating, seems bizarre.

I've been buying premium oils lately for as low as FREE, or 50 cents, or $1 per qt. I'm not complaining, but I am a bit curious as to what is going on...

Am I way off base or is this business as usual?

Maybe my memory is failing, so others with a better memory please chime in. Oil deals certainly occur all the time, but does the current level of deals and clearances and rebates seem abnormal to anyone else? Perhaps it's just me not having paid more attention in the past, but the current speed at which companies are blowing out oil at near give-away prices, while everything else is apparently appreciating, seems bizarre.

I've been buying premium oils lately for as low as FREE, or 50 cents, or $1 per qt. I'm not complaining, but I am a bit curious as to what is going on...

Am I way off base or is this business as usual?
Some of it has been specs upgrading too, like SP in place of SN/+, or the approaching Dexos 1 Gen. 3. All my stuff is old, so I’ll take that cheap oil off your hands!

Makes sense. Whether pricing errors or clearances, WM has gotten slammed with oil orders this last 24 hours. Several threads with deals. Most of mine have not shipped yet and there's debate on whether they will be filled at the expected price/quantity. But if they are, there's pricing as low as pennies per quart to $1 per qt for SN+ and SP synthetic. That's less than I was paying for SJ conventional 20 years ago, not even adjusted for inflation.

Maybe suppliers are making room for all the new API standards soon to come out.

API SP came out in May 2020, the changeover from SN to SP is long gone. As already mentioned, Dexos 1 Gen 3 is already in the pipeline so blenders, distributors, and retailers are gearing up for that. This gearing up can affect non Dexos certified products, as all players of the supply chain review and adjust their inventory to meet the expected demand.

Best deals typically come when they change spec and have to get rid of older inventories.
Surplus are not usually way too good to be true deals, just slightly cheaper.
We no longer see near free oil like 39c per qt after rebate stuff after those mega part store chains mergers in the last 20 years.

Back