Are cars/trucks from the 80s worth buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The GM C/K1500s are my choice. The TBI 4.3 and 5.7 are very durable. I have seen more GM trucks over 300,000 miles than the other two brands combined. Radio and HVAC controls were designed by the same idiot responsible for the Sunbird's disaster.

LOL Yeah the dash was the weak poing in an otherwise great vehicle. I hated those all-pushbutton radio and HVAC clusters. I imagine someone way back in the early planning phase decided pushbuttons were going to be the way of the future... Trouble was, they weren't!

My favorite truck line of all time would be the pre-87 (or is it pre-88?) GMs. Classic styling, great functional interior, rugged and reliable straight-six engine... I'd love a rust-free example if I could find one.

I do like 1980s cars, because in the luxury cars, they resembled a combination of TRON and Knight Rider. I loved mom's 1985 Maxima, and grandma's 80s fullsize Cadillac.

Outside, most of them looked the same. The auto designer was given 20 triangles and how he used them determined the shape of the car.

My dad had a 1987 Hyundai Excel. That car convinced me that Hyundai would never make a good car.

Originally Posted By: css9450

My favorite truck line of all time would be the pre-87 (or is it pre-88?) GMs. Classic styling, great functional interior, rugged and reliable straight-six engine... I'd love a rust-free example if I could find one.

The '73-86 had that odd combination of about 20" of legroom and 60" of headroom. It was funny to get out of an '83 C10 SWB and get into a Mazda B2200 and the Mazda had more legroom. I still like them. Sidesaddle tanks and all!

But I have a hard time getting my thigh between the seat and the steering wheel if it doesn't have tilt on an F-150 from the same era.

I guess the guy behind the slide-rule had a rather short inseam on those trucks
lol.gif

I'd only buy a 30 year old vehicle if I had lots of extra money and time. Most cars I owned in the 80's were unreliable Pita.

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The GM C/K1500s are my choice. The TBI 4.3 and 5.7 are very durable. I have seen more GM trucks over 300,000 miles than the other two brands combined. Radio and HVAC controls were designed by the same idiot responsible for the Sunbird's disaster.

LOL Yeah the dash was the weak poing in an otherwise great vehicle. I hated those all-pushbutton radio and HVAC clusters. I imagine someone way back in the early planning phase decided pushbuttons were going to be the way of the future... Trouble was, they weren't!

That would be pre-'88 for 1/2 ton trucks. The old body style did continue until 1991 under the "R/V" designation for 3/4 ton and up pickups.

GM hit the mark with the '73-'87/'91 trucks. It's just a very good, straightforward design. 1987 1/2 tons are the most desirable because you could get TBI.

I don't think as highly of the '88-'94 models. The interiors are really awful...put some buttons here, some buttons there, half of the radio here, the other half over there, etc. Overall its a good design, but GM didn't really works the kinks out until 1995 and 1996 when the new interiors and Vortec engines came out.

I'm a Ford guy though...and I like their multiport fuel injection better. Ford offered EFI as early as 1985 on 5.0L F-Series trucks and Broncos. The '87 models were a big step up as far as the interiors go, but the earlier ones were not too bad either. As for Twin-I-Beam and Twin-Traction-Beam, it's love it or hate it. I like the setup. It may be hard on tires, but it is very durable.

I still see a lot of '80s vehicles on the road, particularly trucks. They can be very durable, but after two decades condition and reliability can vary a lot. While some still have many thousands of miles left in them, others may be on the verge of engine or transmission failure, or the bodies may be severely worn out or rusted.

Well, we drove '80s cars back in the day, and I don't recall them being especially troublesome.
You are talking about pretty old cars now, though.
Condition is everything, more so than recorded mileage.
I would try to find something owned by a reasonably savvy seller who has had the vehicle for some years.
If you settle on a given vehicle, I would find an owners' website, and research likely problem areas and fixes.
Also, this will give you an idea of what parts availability and pricing are like.
Finally, don't buy anything like this unless you are prepared to work on it yourself, or you can afford to have a tech who was but a small child when these cars were built learn to diagnose and fix any problems.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I don't think as highly of the '88-'94 models. The interiors are really awful...put some buttons here, some buttons there, half of the radio here, the other half over there, etc. Overall its a good design, but GM didn't really works the kinks out until 1995 and 1996 when the new interiors and Vortec engines came out.

LOL I recall a co-worker who bought one just before the switch to the new interior with the "proper" radio. Late in the model year, too, like August if I remember right. He was pretty pee'd when he saw the new ones a couple months later!

He still has it though, so he must have grown to like it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Well, we drove '80s cars back in the day, and I don't recall them being especially troublesome.
You are talking about pretty old cars now, though.
Condition is everything, more so than recorded mileage.
I would try to find something owned by a reasonably savvy seller who has had the vehicle for some years.
If you settle on a given vehicle, I would find an owners' website, and research likely problem areas and fixes.
Also, this will give you an idea of what parts availability and pricing are like.
Finally, don't buy anything like this unless you are prepared to work on it yourself, or you can afford to have a tech who was but a small child when these cars were built learn to diagnose and fix any problems.

+1. Parts availability and pricing are something easily overlooked but are a make or break deal. I also wouldn't take it on unless prepared going in for what is likely going to be a time and labor intensive restoration project. If that's cool or a bonus then its all good.

Even though the Fox body Mustangs aren't my favorite Mustang styling, were I looking into a car from this era they would be high on my list for a hard look at. Parts should be plentiful and reasonably priced too.

-Spyder

Last edited:
I still own a vehicle from the 80's. I've owned early 80's, mid 80's, and late 80's. IMO the early to mid 80's sucked, lots of corner and cost cutting. If buying 80's I'd go late 80's. IMO the US automakers started to realize again that quality mattered and people weren't stupid, so the US cars started to improve again.

Fast forward to today, the US automakers got their acts together. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I still own a vehicle from the 80's. I've owned early 80's, mid 80's, and late 80's. IMO the early to mid 80's sucked, lots of corner and cost cutting. If buying 80's I'd go late 80's. IMO the US automakers started to realize again that quality mattered and people weren't stupid, so the US cars started to improve again.

Fast forward to today, the US automakers got their acts together. JMO

The late 80s also retained a lot of the characteristic exterior lines that defined that decade. In the early 90s they moved almost lock step toward a look-a-like jelly bean styling that I consider one of the lower points in automotive history from a pure aesthetic point of view.

Ford, in particular, embraced this to the extent that their various sedans were almost indistinguishable. Not to single out Ford, as others adopted the same practice too. They just stand out the most in my own memory as the embodiment in that decade of jelly bean look alike exterior styling.

I preferred the more boxy look of the 80s - call it what you will, but it had its own character and I was partial to it. In the 90s they went so opposite in direction that it was an LSD like experience.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
In the 90s they went so opposite in direction that it was an LSD like experience.

-Spyder

Since I've never done LSD I have no idea what you are talking about. Beauty and design are indeed in the eye of the beholder. I see people talking about how great some of the latest/supposedly greatest vehicles are and I wonder if the only taste they have is in their mouth!

That being said all eras had their lemons and their jewels and even at that it is pretty much a subjective call.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
cobra.jpg

One of the especially nice looking fox body Mustangs - not my favorite Mustang body type, but were I looking late 80s (I'm making a guess on that one), that would be exactly what I'd be looking hard to find.

-Spyder

Everthing already mentioned depends on the owners ability /interest in working on their own vehicle.Whats nice about your idea is you can do anything you want to the car.

Engine upgrade.doit
trans mods.....doit
dont like the seats? salvage yard a nice Cadillac split power bench.
Gauges hard to read/innacurate? VDO ,Autometer or Cyberdyne.
Reliability? GM TBI has only six or eight sensors that do a pretty good job at controlling fuel without spazing if there's one little hiccup or bad tank of fuel.Cat back ,'super high flow' yadda yadda muffler 'blah blah blah'.... what cat? True dual exhaust? yup ,but ya gotta turn some wrenches.It's about good feelings on what you drive.

You think you want a truck, get a dodge dakota 2wd 5 speed with the 3.9 Magnum V6, 1992 era. More power than a 1980s 318 V8. Simple as anything to work on. Get trouble codes by turning the key off and on rapidly. Computer is right under the hood so its wiring loom is short and sensible. I would rather have wires and injectors over vacuum lines and carburetors.

Are you suggesting you want antique plates for something over a certain age? Does that exempt you from inspection?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You think you want a truck, get a dodge dakota 2wd 5 speed with the 3.9 Magnum V6, 1992 era. More power than a 1980s 318 V8. Simple as anything to work on. Get trouble codes by turning the key off and on rapidly. Computer is right under the hood so its wiring loom is short and sensible. I would rather have wires and injectors over vacuum lines and carburetors.

Are you suggesting you want antique plates for something over a certain age? Does that exempt you from inspection?

I want something that is 25 years old or close to it to avoid what I consider a draconian inspection scam in Virginia. I will still have the inspection done to take the rejection memo as a guideline to work on but I wouldn't have to "fix" it that such shop or be out of a car.

If I could get another one, I would.
24708560002_medium.jpg

Mine had an orange stripe around it, orange CS and Turbo Z lettering, silver crab wheels and a black leather interior. but otherwise was the same down to the T-Tops. I took the rubber air dams off mine too along with the aluminum louvers.

It's still a very good looking car to me.

I bet it would last longer than 120,000 miles with the way I drive now vs the way I drove in my 20s. I would still get the boost needle to wiggle around in the "red" but not everytime I drove it. I also know proper turbocharger cooldown now rather than just flog it and shut it off immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back