Are carburetors supposed to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gokhan
Why did an honest question about a carburetor problem turn into a carburetor-vs.-fuel-injection argument?? As if, the OP has a choice on which to use in his car.

A well-maintained carburetor (high-quality gas, properly installed air filter, no tampering or abuse) will last virtually forever, save perhaps some torn vacuum diaphragm that may need replacing. I did carefully rebuild mine myself ten years ago but it was running OK before then despite the abuse in its earlier life.

You'll never be able to please everyone. I like old stuff, be it cars or tech, not just because of nostalgia, but because I don't see them as consumerist waste which is to be simply thrown away after a while. Mostly because they're simpler, and not much can go wrong on simple things. Hence the reason I only drive old pre-90's cars, not just because I'm poor, I could afford a 5-10 year old car no problem, but also because carburetors are inherently simpler, and I neither drive much nor do I have a gas hog vehicle, so fuel efficiency isn't an issue, and I prefer learning how things work, which is much simpler on completely analog tech, and it's also easier to repair.

Fair question … And we ran many miles on TBI before PI and even DI … they can all pin your back to the seat …

Originally Posted by Glam_Stachee
You'll never be able to please everyone. I like old stuff, be it cars or tech, not just because of nostalgia, but because I don't see them as consumerist waste which is to be simply thrown away after a while.

Fair enough, but carbs for fleet use were an absolute nightmare, and taxis using LPG in those days wasn't only because it was cheaper than gasoline. It was also a less troublesome fueling system, generally speaking, particularly when the emissions equipment started to be fitted and the electronic feedback carbs appeared. The mechanical fuel injection on the old Audi was a rather nice compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back