Are car carriers an unstable nightmare to drive?

I'm thinking both of the tractor-trailer style and the "hotshot" 3-car trailers that are just one giant ramp.

I've seen these half-loaded, but in a nonsensical manner that heightens the center of gravity. And the way everything folds around the cars on the lower deck, they put the tall, heavy SUVs on top.

I've seen hot shots with only one vehicle aft of the rear axles.

Then you've got to deal with the vehicle loads bouncing on their own suspensions in addition to the trailer's suspension.

The guys driving them... act like they have really good insurance.

On the pecking order of sketchy loads where does carrying cars fall?

it’s not hard. no brain required super easy money for a company driver.

i exclusively hauled cars and the main risk is weigh stations, i passed 100% of them. never got caught the years i did it

Isn't the primary problem simply weight? I can feel a difference in handling when I have a car fully loaded with passengers. But with those wouldn't it be like the difference between pulling a Radio Flyer wagon with a potted plant vs three kids?

The wedge trailers can get very top heavy. We have a 53’ wedge but it’s set up for a semi tractor. You feel it behind a single axle. I haven’t pulled a smaller one behind a pickup but at the rate they turn over you know they’re top heavy. 18 wheeler style carriers are very stable. Most newer ones have air ride steer axles and handle great.

Back