are any radiator caps US made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go with an OE replacement, or one from the OE manufacturer- such as offered by Beck Arnley or Altrom (NAPA).

I have not seen any aftermarket cap last as long or work as well as a cap from the OE or OE supplier.

I doubt it matters which one you get. I used both OE and aftermarket on my 89 Accord. I replaced the OE with OE after nearly ten years when the rubber starting deteriorating. Then, I had to replace the radiator. The new radiator used a smaller cap so I ended up at Auto Zone one evening buying whatever they had that fit. It was still fine after ten more years.

Go with one made by Denso. Don't know where they are made, but Denso makes very good, high quality parts. And they are an OEM for Toyota and partially owned by Toyota. The OEM cap on my 04 is still functioning properly.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
gates? stant? ac/delso?

for a toyota highlander

OEM only for thermostats and caps. Years ago i would have a different answer but not today, the aftermarket has ruined the market with junk.

i sell lots of caps. i cant get usa ones. stant is made in mexico and are pretty good. stay away from the india ones autozone sells and stay away from the ones with the lever regardless of who made it.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
OE

Chances are you cant OE only OEM even from the dealer. I just bought a GM cap from the dealer and got AC Delco made in Mexico. OE was IIRC Delphi and has Made in USA on the box.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Chances are you cant OE only OEM even from the dealer. I just bought a GM cap from the dealer and got AC Delco made in Mexico. OE was IIRC Delphi and has Made in USA on the box.

Oddly enough, the Motorcraft radiator cap for my Grand Marquis was made in USA, but the factory unit in a Genuine Ford box was made in India.

I guess Made in India didn't work out for them.
happy0009.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Go with one made by Denso. Don't know where they are made, but Denso makes very good, high quality parts. And they are an OEM for Toyota and partially owned by Toyota. The OEM cap on my 04 is still functioning properly.

+1 on Denso quality.

I would think they would be made in either Japan or Taiwan.

I'd go with either OEM, Gates or Stant. Not necessarily in that order.

I just received an ACDelco cap I ordered from Rock Auto (P/N 12R9 for the Lumina). The box reads, "Made in Israel".

However, I believe it's defective. The little, spring loaded valve that opens to allow coolant flow back into the radiator from the over flow is just dangling there. No spring tension.

I don't think the cap will hold pressure with the valve like this. If I could only remember where I put my cooling system tester.....

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I just received an ACDelco cap I ordered from Rock Auto (P/N 12R9 for the Lumina). The box reads, "Made in Israel".

A good deal of the Motorad product line seems to be sourced from the Holy Land as well nowadays.
Were they bought by an Israeli group/corp.??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
And they are an OEM for Toyota and partially owned by Toyota.

It was my understanding that they (Denso) are 100% owned by the Nippon Giant.
confused2.gif

The last 2 times I needed a radiator caps for a Japanese cars, I got one from Mexico and one from South Korea. Getting one from Korea made sense to me, because it seems that Hyundai and Kia have the same radiator caps as Toyota and Honda.

It seems like practically every Japanese car has the same shape radiator cap, but different pressures. Perhaps some tuner company makes a premium radiator cap with the correct pressure. TRD, GReddy, HKS, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back