Are any of you George Carlin fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

Most of what George Carlin says are true, but
I'm afraid that the significance of 90% of what
George Carlin says is lost on the audience.

George is really a philosopher, but a philosopher
would speak to 1/10 of 1% of the population.
So, George has to keep his day job as a comedian
to pay the bills.

George shares my hatred of organized religion,
but I take issue with one statement which he makes.
He keeps repeating that Religion has caused more
deaths than all other reasons combined.
First, George cannot possibly have facts to back
up his oft repeated claim. He is better than
that.
rolleyes.gif
Also, it's our differences which
have led to conflict. Infantile humanity sees
difference as something to be assimilated or
killed.

I used to think George was a crack pot too until
I wised up.

Cheers,

Jae

I like how GC (cool initials!) says that anyone who drives faster than you is an a-hole, and anyone who drives slower than you is a moron (or words to that effect)
grin.gif

quote:

He keeps repeating that Religion has caused more
deaths than all other reasons combined.

Perhaps if he used the word "idealogy"? That would probably top the list of "man inflicted" deaths.

I literally ran into him in a record store in Hollywood. He was buying a stack of Merle Haggard CD's. What you see is what you get - whatta guy. He's a senior citizen now, and I love his perspective now that he's gotten older - hasn't lost a bit of edge and in fact getting edgier.

"Ancient hatred and modern weapons - My kind of television!"

George is OK, he makes me laugh. His world is a bit too focused on the negative for my tastes, and since kids, he really isn't part of my world. There is some positive in the world, funny that my religion is part of what allows me to see the positive. But that's his niche, so he's cool.

J, I have always appreciated George since the 60's when he first appeared. He was beaten by Catholic school nuns and thrown out of Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx.

When he says "organized religion" it is code for the Catholic Church, although I'm sure he has a bug up his butt for many others.

I think George has a problem with all herd mentalities, but isn't an audience such a herd?

Put your faith in God and not men and you will not be disappointed. Men will always disappoint.

GC Live at Carnegie has been one of my favorite standup routines for many years... "And in other news, a woman jogging backwards from Winnepeg to Rio was killed today when she was hit by a truck, head on, from the rear."

cool.gif
My fav: "Hot water heater? Whatcha want that for? Hot water don't need to be heated. What you want is a cold water heater!"
lol.gif

Big Fan of JC. I believe JC Back in Town was my favorite. I agree with much that he has to say. Some is obviously just for laughs but the guy does make a lot of sense. I'm right on board with his religious views.

I like the guy, but somehow thought he "sold out" by doing the Dodge Neon voice-over commercials. He made a name for himself with biting anti-establishment humor, and then he does a car commercial.

I know this isn't a fair or logical expectation for him or any other comedian. He's in it for the money like everyone else, as he should be. But both my friend and I immediately thought "Sell Out!" when we first saw the ads, but then quickly calmed down and remembered that this ain't the 1970s anymore. I guess many folks come full-circle (or at least 180 degrees) eventually, and ol' George has that right too. And he's still wacked-in-the-head kind of funny...

Now if you wanna hear some REALLY deviant, wacked, no-holds-barred humor, find an old Sam Kennison tape and make sure your mom isn't within earshot! That guy was too much!

[ March 23, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: TC ]

quote:

I guess many folks come full-circle (or at least 180 degrees) eventually,

One of the staff at my school was a CO during the Vietnam War. He grew his own pot ...had a wife that looked like Joan Biez (spl?) ..had a copy of the Whole Earth Catalog...protested the war.

...AND now is a VERY WELL PAID CIA employee on the "executive" level.

Go figure
confused.gif

One of my old friends had a middle-aged neighbor who was a reserve L.A. County Sheriff deputy. What was one of the deputy's antics as a young man? Leading the Highway Patrol and a long, high-speed chase through "The Grapevine," a long, semi-desolate hilly section of highway. Not exactly sure how, but it must have had an impact on him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back