Are all Garrett T25 turbo interfaces the same?

JHZR2

Staff member
I did the ChrisFix exhaust leak test and saw this:

00FF7419-A409-4F18-8F50-D7B88168758B.jpeg
7052891C-9186-453C-AFCD-6AF166C1BED0.jpeg
95FEB5DB-AF34-4AF6-8DE6-2F8FD945D6A5.jpeg

So a bit of a leak from the turbo gasket. That would explain why occasionally I feel like I smell some exhaust in the cabin at idle. Obviously I need to get this fixed asap.

MB classic center online shows the gasket as NLA.

Are some kinds of turbo gaskets better than others?

Is there some stopgap to fix this while waiting for parts?

Since it’s a compressible gasket and the FSM is pretty absent on detail, does anyone know if these can simply be pulled out and slipped in without removing the turbo oil connections and everything else?

Thanks!

65D1739C-B1FA-4601-95D2-DCA09C45D4E2.jpeg

This is the gasket, ECS claims it is available in 5 days.

Yet MB says it is NLA.

F11327EB-4CFA-4BCC-986F-1408D281D6E5.jpg

More and more parts that used to be well supported for the long run are NLA.

In a pinch, you can reform the sealing bead in that gasket with a little ingenuity and elbow grease, and re use it. However, the reason it's leaking is probably an unevenness on the sealing surfaces.

In a pinch, you can reform the sealing bead in that gasket with a little ingenuity and elbow grease, and re use it. However, the reason it's leaking is probably an unevenness on the sealing surfaces.
How do I know what part of the gasket has failed? How would you recommend reforming it? I thought these gaskets were one time compression designs…

I’m not sure the turbo was ever removed, so any unevenness has been there for about 232k miles…

Have you checked the fasteners are still tight/ torqued to spec? Look like the leak is at one corner and may be the fastener has relaxed over time. Or maybe not!

Have you checked the fasteners are still tight/ torqued to spec? Look like the leak is at one corner and may be the fastener has relaxed over time. Or maybe not!
Good idea, I’ll do that, but it’s coming from the middle.

Lots of MB vehicles get exhaust interface leaks unfortunately…

Back