Are All 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 Synthetic Oils Clones Now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random Musings : After looking at BITOG VOA's & UOA's you see a trend with the D1 / Gen 2 compositions :

*Moly
*Titanium
*Boron
*Calcium
*Magnesium

All the D1 / Gen 2 oils now seem to have similar make ups now - the exception (as I see it) being whether Titanium is used or not and secondly - how much Moly is contained as well as what kind of Moly is used ?
More Boron appears in the so called Tier 1 oils as well as the use of Titanium ... Calcium and Magnesium appear to run fairly similar among the D1 / Gen 2 rated oils . *As stated before here - a VOA / UOA doesn't tell you everything about an oil composition but as I see it - the below is how I would rate the current crop of WM bought popular D1 / Gen 2 Synthetic 5W30 Oils (based again on BITOG VOA's & UOA's) :

1A. PP
1B. Castrol Edge (non - EP version)
1C. Valvoline Advanced
2A. QSUD
2B. Castrol Magnatec
2C.. *Mobil 1 (non - EP version)
3A. Super Tech
3B. Havoline

*On paper M1 vanilla appears to be absolutely nothing special for a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oil ? ... I try to give M1 the benefit of the doubt that there must be more to the composition than what shows on paper ... The first and 2nd tier D1/Gen 2 oils may be closer together in composition than at any other time of oil ratings.

Metallic additives are fine but the overall chemistry is what provides overall protection. With D1G2 cert we know it's a quality oil which protects more than necessary. The individual additives don't tell us a lot.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure all of the additive white papers are all made up and now every choice is just vanilla. But, that is what the gov't wants anyhow, low additive oils, and I'd bet a pretty nickle they are nowhere done making anything non conforming oils right into the Vanilla fold. There may be a couple choices that are Vanilla with sprinkles, enjoy those while you can. On a high note maybe additives wil take off like never before.

Originally Posted by avi1777
what do you mean when you say vanilla?
tnx

Sort've the plain Jane in the product lineup.

My personal opinion is that oils today are all pretty similar.
Changing the oil on a regular basis (and the interval is the bigger factor now with the DI and turbo motors out there) is more important that what brand oil you buy.
I really think that since API SM this has been the case (except for some of these T-GDI motors and those motors with LSPI issues).
Nothing I have requires SN+ spec (and everything I change oil in can use at least SM spec oil).

Originally Posted by avi1777
what do you mean when you say vanilla?
tnx

Mobil 1 has several varieties, Annual Protection, Extended Performance (and EP HM), FS, ESP (Emission System Protection), Formula M (European), Advance Fuel Economy, Truck & SUV, Racing, Racing 4T, V-Twin, Turbo Diesel Truck, and then just "vanilla" Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 High Mileage.

Well, the OP stated in his original post that VOAs and UOAs don't have the needed information to draw meaningful conclusions.
So I'm not really sure what we are supposed to do with his list.

Agree that it has no meaningful value???

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by dave1251
Can you post in Ingles

Oh, the irony...

You misunderstood. He wants the posts to be done in his local Ingles grocery store. Certainly he didn't misspell English. Heaven forbid!

Originally Posted by DaleRider
Can you post in Ingles

Oh, the irony...

You misunderstood. He wants the posts to be done in his local Ingles grocery store. Certainly he didn't misspell English. Heaven forbid!

Laura Ingles Wilder??

Metallic additives are fine but the overall chemistry is what provides overall protection. With D1G2 cert we know it's a quality oil which protects more than necessary. The individual additives don't tell us a lot.

Well said. This is exactly what I think (and sometimes write) when people crow about a certain motor oil being "the best" because it contains PAO or Ester base stocks. The finished lubricant product (with balanced additives) determines what is the best, not the base oil. Point being: judge by performance, not content.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by DaleRider
Can you post in Ingles

Oh, the irony...

Laura Ingles Wilder??

This thread's getting Wilder by the minute.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Random Musings : After looking at BITOG VOA's & UOA's you see a trend with the D1 / Gen 2 compositions :

*Moly
*Titanium
*Boron
*Calcium
*Magnesium

All the D1 / Gen 2 oils now seem to have similar make ups now - the exception (as I see it) being whether Titanium is used or not and secondly - how much Moly is contained as well as what kind of Moly is used ?
More Boron appears in the so called Tier 1 oils as well as the use of Titanium ... Calcium and Magnesium appear to run fairly similar among the D1 / Gen 2 rated oils . *As stated before here - a VOA / UOA doesn't tell you everything about an oil composition but as I see it - the below is how I would rate the current crop of WM bought popular D1 / Gen 2 Synthetic 5W30 Oils (based again on BITOG VOA's & UOA's) :

1A. PP
1B. Castrol Edge (non - EP version)
1C. Valvoline Advanced
2A. QSUD
2B. Castrol Magnatec
2C.. *Mobil 1 (non - EP version)
3A. Super Tech
3B. Havoline

*On paper M1 vanilla appears to be absolutely nothing special for a 5W30 D1 / Gen 2 rated synthetic oil ? ... I try to give M1 the benefit of the doubt that there must be more to the composition than what shows on paper ... The first and 2nd tier D1/Gen 2 oils may be closer together in composition than at any other time of oil ratings.

So, you went through all that talk just to rank them by personal preference? Ok. That's helpful, at least for anyone buying oil for you as a gift.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

You simply can not look at one data point and make a determination of good, bad or otherwise. How all the additives perform in the end product is the determiner. Even at that it's still subjective unless you're tearing down the engine after use of each formula and looking at wear scars and weighing parts blah blah blah.. and not to be forgotten is that not all engines abuse oil the same (DI v. PI, Turbo v. NA, older engine v. newer engine, towing v. no towing.. for example)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DGXR
This thread's getting Wilder by the minute.

Is this...oil talk gone Wilder?🤔

Last edited:
Buy a quality oil, change it at a reasonable interval, and I doubt the engine will be the cause of death of the vehicle

Vanilla is referring to vanilla bean esters which are getting more and more common in motor oil. The properties are astounding.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Vanilla is referring to vanilla bean esters which are getting more and more common in motor oil. The properties are astounding.

Oh baby, that would be some expensive oil! A 2oz bottle of vanilla oil extract cost about 16 bucks. The engine will smell real good though.

Just saying the D1 / Gen 2 oils are getting / are pretty similar - except the top tier oils that have higher concentrations of moly , titanium , boron , etc. ... If you would like - I can go back and rate the oils based on 540 Rat rankings .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back