Arctic Nazi weather station base uncovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it would seem you're right. Some of the articles I read after seeing the original post gave that exact reason for them putting weather stations on this side of the Atlantic.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Ducked

They found one in Labrador, Canada too. That was a rather hair-raising find.

Why so? You think Hitler is holed up in a bunker somewhere just waiting for the right weather report?

Because it meant they had U-boats landing in Canada and we had no idea where many of them were. Apparently one made it quite a way up a river inland according to recent claims. They have not confirmed the identity or whether it is actually a U-boat yet though.

Scarier for them I'd have thought. Long way from home in a very small boat.

IIRC the one delivering that weather station had been unable to dive for most of the trip and had lost its AAA.

On a later mission it was sunk by a US submarine (much bigger) in the South China Sea (!)

They found one in Labrador, Canada too. That was a rather hair-raising find.

Why so? You think Hitler is holed up in a bunker somewhere just waiting for the right weather report?

Because it meant they had U-boats landing in Canada and we had no idea where many of them were. Apparently one made it quite a way up a river inland according to recent claims. They have not confirmed the identity or whether it is actually a U-boat yet though.

Scarier for them I'd have thought. Long way from home in a very small boat.

IIRC the one delivering that weather station had been unable to dive for most of the trip and had lost its AAA.

On a later mission it was sunk by a US submarine (much bigger) in the South China Sea (!)

Then:
kurt1.jpg

Now:
cwm.jpg

On display at the Canadian War Museum.

Another neat little piece:

Quote:
Six independent U-boats penetrated the St Lawrence R and Gulf via the Cabot Str and the Str of Belle Isle by May-Oct 1942 and reached as far upriver as Rimouski, some 300 km from Québec C. In these waters, U-boats sank 3 Canadian warships (HMCS Raccoon, Charlottetown and Shawinigan) and 20 ships in convoy, including the SS Chatham, the first US troopship lost in the war. The sinking of the Sydney to Channel-Port Aux Basques ferry, SS Caribou, 14 Oct 1942 with the loss of 137 lives was considered the worst inshore disaster of the battle. The greatest tonnage, 9 ships, including Chatham and Charlottetown, was sunk by U-517, whose captain, Paul Hartwig, rose after the war to vice-admiral of Canada's NATO partner, the federal German navy.

Would be really quite interesting to dive one of the wrecks IMHO.

Quote:
after scientists ate infected polar bear meat

LOL. Oh, all it took was bad bear meat to put a stop to the mission.

This reminds me of that great TV show on Netflix last year - Fortitude. About weird happenings, murder and infected meat on Svalbard, way north of Norway. The Norwegians share that one with the Russians. Anyway, a good show. Don't eat bear meat kids!
08.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Quote:
after scientists ate infected polar bear meat

LOL. Oh, all it took was bad bear meat to put a stop to the mission.

Not unheard of at all, in my research on cod liver oil, I read some mission into the Arctic or Antarctic was trapped by weather. The men slaughtered their sled dogs for food and several began to die mysteriously. The men who died had eaten the livers, and then learned the hard way that vitamin A can poison one in very high levels. Since the sled dogs ate cod, they began to accumulate high concentrations of vitamins A and D at levels fatal to humans in their livers. While cod livers are very healthy, the concentration begins to increase farther up the food chain.

Even those taking multivitamins and cod liver oil have to be a bit careful. Polar bear livers are basically cyanide to humans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back