ARCO & Valeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread about ARCO graphite oil mentioned that ARCO is now part of British Petroleum. That raises a couple of questions. Although BP has a presence in California, they don't seem to have any stations in Southern California so I'm not all that familiar with their product. I see BP when I travel in Northern California.

Currently what is the quality of ARCO gasoline and what is the quality of Valeo. ARCO had a horrible reputation for several years, especially for fuel contamination but also for not holding octane very well. I had no idea that Valeo had become so big. The stations that I have noticed with the Valeo label used to Thrifty (relabeled ARCO and USA). Are these brands to avoid or have they been improved with new ownership? Any insight would be appreciated.

about 2 to 3 years ago BP bought ARCO and if you look at ARCO's new signs they are putting up(usally along the base of their gas price sign) you will see the wording that "ARCO is a BP Company" something that effect. They used to have BP stations here on the westcoast prior to them buying ARCO and from what I understand is that the BP name was being rented by the company that now uses the "Union 76" logo here on the westcoast. BP took back the rights to the use of their name when they bought ARCO than decided not change the name being the cost of the change over would be so great. Arco gas here in the Northwest is a 10% ethonol blend which is considered to be a cheap gas here. 76, the 7/11 citgo's, tosco's and torsoro's and other 'no name' brand station's also use this same mix which a lot of comes from the ARCO and Citco/phillip's refineres at Cherry Point, Wash. Our Shell's and Chevron's still sell real gas, 100% NO ethenol blend in this area. Station's are required by law to post on their pumps if they are selling Ethenol blended fuel. Being Chevron/Texaco has now been allowed to buy Union 76 as of a day or so ago, I wonder how this will effect the use of that name on stations in this area??

FYI, Valero is the largest refiner (in BBL/d) in the US. They are buying up the old "major"'s refineries. They have a few stations and Diamond Shamrock.

Doesn't matter anyway. Most stations sell pipeline gas which could come from anywhere...unless the station is across the street from a refinery. The only difference is the additive....Chevron is still the best. Shell is a close second.

I tell people to look at the station itself. If it looks in good repair, then the pumps probably have filters on them, and the tanks are probably maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back