Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it in my '78 Cutlass. The garage who sold it also ran
race cars and tried it with them. As race engines are made
a little looser, he said the stuff fouled plugs and leaked
constantly.
Ran OK for me before I went to Mobil 1.
Craig

Graphite un like moly will burn in the CC but settleing and causeing plugging in filters that were not changed as they should I think killed it plus the color was a turn off but I used it in a IHC scout since I bought it new and went to 150k with it then pulled the heads for a valve job and the cross hatch honing marks were still there WOW
bruce

I've read that GM finally got the Vega engine 'right' in the last two years or so that they built it...

I too used it on a 78 Mazda GLC (323). The little 1272 (1.3L) engine ran REAL well. I was stationed in Stuttgart Germany and it gave me another 5 MPH on the top end on flat ground for a top speed of 95 MPH on the Autobahn. It had to be doing something right. I was told that the Graphite being a carbon would kill a cat con the same as lead, if your engine burned oil. There was another post on this a while back. DaveJ

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
There must be some reason that it's not used by any of the big oil companies, anymore.

Yeah - they're makin' money hand over fist anyway.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
I first recall a neighbor using it in his OLDS V8-350 diesel.

That decision may have ultimately cost him if he kept the car for any appreciable length of time. Those engines required the use of 15W-40 all-fleet motor oils with at least an API "SE/CD" rating (highest at the time in 1978). GM had a lot of broken crankshafts, and no small number were as likely as not from some Oldsmobile dealerships servicing those engines with standard 10W-20 gasoline engine motor oil pumped from a bulk barrel. I owned one of those beasts for seven years and never had a mechanical problem, though the rear main seal leaked and the custom dumbed-down RoosaMaster fuel injection pumps that GM specified were problematic.

Mobil 1 was either 5w20 or 10w20 in 1978, it was considered THIN!!! and in alot of engines of that time they had a problem called -red liting- which was at idle the oil was so thin the red idiot lite would go on. Do not remember any regular dino oil being 10w20 at that time, mostly 10w40 and 10w30 along with straight 30w and 20w20.

if my memory serves me right, fleet oils at that time were 20w40, 15w40 came along a few years later(or about this time-late 70's early 80's? they changed to 15w40)

I can't say how long he kept it, but I seem to recall his fascination was soon overcome by the OLDs diesel lack of performance. My six-cylinder Maverick would have made it a race.

offtopic.gif

That man WAS an old, bold pilot as the saying would have us believe doesn't exist ("There are bold pilots and there are old pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots"). His son, a friend, was up on their property near Denison, TX operating a bush hog from an old tractor. His old man -- American Airlines kept him relegated, happily, to freighters because of his antics -- dropped the old 707 he was driving in a gentle powered-back stall over the OMNI Beacon near to their land while inbound to D/FW (and off of radar coverage); and then he nailed the throttles to the firewall, clouds of black smoke pouring out. Why? Because

A] he knew that Steve was out there, and;
B] he knew it would scare the s*&^% out, and;
C] That was nothing compared to what HIS old man might pull.

If you never had the chance to hear a 1960's ramjet-spec BOEING 707 down close (even with the so-called hush kit) then consider that people I've met who've witnessed a SATURN V takeoff considered it introductory to that experience. Loud doesn't cut it.

Steve said he was sure then of his old Arkansas grandmothers stories about the end times a'comin'.

[ October 04, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

Sorry this has nothing to do with the Grapthite oil.........
Hapuna Beach (in Hawaii) do you get there often? Our family used to go there about 1 X a month when I was a kid.
I have not been there since the early 70s. Our family had a VW bus with small holes in the floor. We used to look down at the road thru the hole while on route Hapuna!

I used to use an additive of which the main ingredient was graphite. It was discontinued several years ago. I was told it was because the graphite, under some conditions, became an abrasive and there were too many engine rebuild complaints.

Word of mouth, long time ago, sometimes errant memory, take it for what you think it's worth.

quote:

Originally posted by Hapuna Beach:
Anyone remember ARCO Graphite Oil? Supposedley, they found a method of suspending the graphite in the oil without settling. I used it in a couple vehicles and it worked fine; havn't seen it in years. Only problem was it went in BLACK!

Hapuna

My gosh, does this bring back memories! In 1978 I turned 16. I got a new Smokie and the Bandit Black Bird Trans Am (In a heated barn to be rebuilt for my now 10 yr old son). I did all my own service an ran Arco Grafite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back