AR15 painting question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, recently purchased a S&W M&P Sport 2 from a friend of my fathers, and he was the original owner. He has the rifle painted with some sort of camo, not sure if it was a spray can or what. It doesn't look horrible, but I do like the look of the AR in its normal black. What's a good way to get it back to that color, should I try peeling the camo off or just repaint it entirely? Thanks!

Will it peel? If it is painted, Id suspect that the solvent and solids crept into the parkerization on the surfaces, making removal very difficult.

If it doesn't peel, Id probably look into if you could completely take the rifle apart and soak the parts in a thin solvent (10W ND oil or maybe something like ATF cut with mineral spirits) for a while to let the oil/solvents creep into the parkerization and dissolve the paint. With a LOT of wiping you may get somewhere.

You might also consider just trying to paint over it yourself (not a fan, would seal the ability to clean and oil). Otherwise you could look into the cost to Ceracote everything, which Id imagine would require them stripping and refinishing with a nice ceramic coating.

Is it just the furniture? AR parts are cheap enough that you might just remove as much as you can that is painted, and then limit your exposed painted surfaces to just be the lower and the exposed barrel, if you don't refinish them.

Hopefully you bought it either with the price based upon the fact that you didn't like the camo, or else with the cost of refinishing built in.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Will it peel? If it is painted, Id suspect that the solvent and solids crept into the parkerization on the surfaces, making removal very difficult.

If it doesn't peel, Id probably look into if you could completely take the rifle apart and soak the parts in a thin solvent (10W ND oil or maybe something like ATF cut with mineral spirits) for a while to let the oil/solvents creep into the parkerization and dissolve the paint. With a LOT of wiping you may get somewhere.

You might also consider just trying to paint over it yourself (not a fan, would seal the ability to clean and oil). Otherwise you could look into the cost to Ceracote everything, which Id imagine would require them stripping and refinishing with a nice ceramic coating.

Is it just the furniture? AR parts are cheap enough that you might just remove as much as you can that is painted, and then limit your exposed painted surfaces to just be the lower and the exposed barrel, if you don't refinish them.

Hopefully you bought it either with the price based upon the fact that you didn't like the camo, or else with the cost of refinishing built in.

I honestly don't mind the camo, it looks perfectly fine honestly, I just wouldn't find changing it bzck at some point. And for what I paid for it, I probably would've been ok with pink

Most people use spray paint for camo paint.

It will quite a journey to remove that stuff. I'd leave it as it is, and go buy a different rifle, if you want a black one. Or since its already spray painted, lay a coat of black spray paint on it. It is what it is, a budget, painted rifle. Treat it as such.

Contact the manufacturer and ask if acetone or the like will harm the coating. You could also ask their recommendation.

I am assuming since its a well known brand that it's anodized so you should be fine.

If you don't mind the expense, take it to a local cerakote applicator. However since this is not a high end AR, it might be more expensive than it is worth.

I would probably do the acetone bath idea. If the gun was properly anodized it wont hurt the metal parts.

Last edited:
There has probably been a million or so painted without problem and more than likely ten-times the number of AK's painted. Repair any bad areas and paint away.....naturally leaving the internals unpainted. This is not rocket science.

You'll hear rhe howling from the purists.....its your firearm, make it YOURS! I/we have several hundred firearms and some have been painted.....all work and all look fine.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
There has probably been a million or so painted without problem and more than likely ten-times the number of AK's painted. Repair any bad areas and paint away.....naturally leaving the internals unpainted. This is not rocket science.

You'll hear rhe howling from the purists.....its your firearm, make it YOURS! I/we have several hundred firearms and some have been painted.....all work and all look fine.

You can paint your gun. But if you use it on a regular basis, just be sure to buy plenty of paint. Because it won't take long before it ends up looking like this. Paint is one of the least durable finishes you can apply to a weapon.

Yep - they'll look that way after a while.

I have pretty firearms, heirloom firearms, custom firearms, and painted firearms....all are clean and all work; just not some as pretty as others.

Its your firearm; if you're comfortable disassembling a firearm then paint away if thats what you want: a $10 spray can or a $200+ re-blueing.....your call!

I take care of my firearms.....my "weapons" are whatever are near me....rocks, bats, harsh language, etc!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back