AR10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone pulled the trigger on any of the Palmetto AR10 gear? Saw their first complete upper today for $599 with stainless barrel. Looks like you'll be able to get into a nice AR10 for less than $900 when they get ramped up. If these turn out to be as good as their AR15 stuff I may have to take the plunge.

The only issues that I know of with AR10's is that they run at a lower pressure than the AR15 series of rifles.

They are more particular about the ammo fed to them.

Palmetto may have figured this out, but the few friends who have had them that I know say that you have to pay attention to what ammo you feed them, and how you reload for them.

Not a big gripe. Just something interesting.

Well also everything AR10 is usually proprietary as there is no Mil Spec for the AR10 unlike the AR15. It is why I went with a FAL when I decided to fill my 7.62NATO battle rifle slot in my safe.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there concerning AR-10. Armalite had a major issue with magazines and then during the 94 ban M1A magazine conversions were not very reliable either. After 2004 when the sun set ont he fed ban Armalite came out with a new gen of magazines and most issues were done with.

There is only one AR-10 and that is Armalite. There are other variants out there that aree xcellent choices (Rock River especially) but there is only 1 AR-10. Personally, 308 under 18" you loose a little tooooo much velocity for my likes. 18 IMHO is great for AR-10 in 308. I enjoy MY AR-10's but have found the 6.8SPC in AR-15 platform to be a better alternative.

No need to nitpick the "AR-10" name. There's only one AR-15 or M4 too but we commonly use those designations and everyone knows what we mean. Most AK-47s aren't AK-47s and so on. PSA is using whatever pattern that Magpul is using so that's good.

I have a S&W M&P10 and they use the DPMS setup that everyone but Armalite uses. It is a cool gun, but reliability is questionable at times. It is very picky on ammo.

Originally Posted By: hatt
No need to nitpick the "AR-10" name. There's only one AR-15 or M4 too but we commonly use those designations and everyone knows what we mean. Most AK-47s aren't AK-47s and so on. PSA is using whatever pattern that Magpul is using so that's good.

Very true, we could nitpick the fact that the current Armalite used to be Eagle Arms till they bought the name. The real AR10's made at Costa Mesa and by the Dutch were the only true mil spec AR10. Everything afterwards has merely been an interpretation on the original Stoner designed rifles. And that is probably a good thing.

My DPMS AP4 LR308 http://www.dpmsinc.com/AP4-308762_ep_129-1.html
is very reliable...very accurate as well...I've had 2" 100 yd groups, using iron sights....my aging eyes are the limiting factor.

"AR-10" isn't a standard, but the DPMS standard for mags, etc. is popular (e.g. Remington R-25)...the PSA looks like it's built on the DPMS standard.

If i were shopping for an AR pattern .308, I would give the new DPMS GII a real hard look. Lighter, more compact, than my AP4...and the price is reasonable.

http://dpms-gii.com/full.html#configurations

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I have a S&W M&P10 and they use the DPMS setup that everyone but Armalite uses. It is a cool gun, but reliability is questionable at times. It is very picky on ammo.
What ammo does it not like? I don't think a lot of these designs like heavier bullets. I had an M1A that didn't shoot 180+ so good.

I am surprised to hear that the S&W is picky...it looks like a quality rifle...shouldn't be picky about anything.

I've put several different bullet weights/ammo types through my DPMS - never had a problem, no FTF, no FTE...the gun just runs...as it should.

Typically, I am shooting Federal XM-80, which is 149 grain, but I've run other brands/weights through it.

Part of what I like about the DMPS GII is the double ejector and improved extractor, along with the lighter, smaller construction and the increased compatibility with AR-15 platform components.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What ammo does it not like? I don't think a lot of these designs like heavier bullets. I had an M1A that didn't shoot 180+ so good.

I had some Winchester deer hunting rounds, i forget which ones, that it did not like. It ate up the American Eagle rounds that were intended for M1A like a champ though, as did my SOCOM.

I think most of the commercial .308 rounds are simply optimized for common bolt actions. Slower powders are good for velocity but not so good for some auto designs.

Most 7.62 rifles do not do as well with heavier .308 bullets. My M1a manual specifically states not to use 180+ grain bullets.

With the AR-10 style of rifle, the biggest problem is that longer bullets may not seat in the magazine, or chamber well in the firearm. No idea how it affects function in terms of being overcharged though.

The rule of thumb that 5.56 NATO is more powerful than commercial .223 Remington is actually flipped for 7.62/.308.

Commercial .308 can run much hotter than 7.62NATO rounds.

Your best bet is to stick to 150-167grain bullets to best mimic 7.62 performance and reliability.

As for PSA AR-10s, I don't know anyone that has run them. But I am a fan of their AR-15s for what they are. Mid grade guns at bottom barrel prices.

Looks like a solid buy. I would wait at least a year to make sure they iron out any teething problems and maybe wait for a chrome lined barrel option.

I have several Palmetto State Armory AR-15 lowers and uppers and they are fantastic. I just bought a Colt 6720 from them for a steal at $799/shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back