Applying fluid film in my basement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it make a cloud and cover all my valuables with corrosion preventative? How much of a work space do I need to not get things greasy?
Sorry, first time applicator here...

?

Are you using spray cans or do you have a compressor? Any hints on how you got your vehicles in the basement?

Some more clues on 'what you are doing' will be handy.

I'd look at the solvents involved. I like Fluid Film, but I believe it's intended use is in a well ventilated / outdoor environment. Using it indoors will lead to a concentration of solvent vapors and odor.

What fluid film are you using? The small Areosol cans or one of the one gallon pails? What are you using to apply it and what are you applying it too?

For my application using the fluid film fun and wands, the product doesn't drip and for the most part it doesn't release a mist into the air.

You won't like the smell in your basement.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
?

Are you using spray cans or do you have a compressor? Any hints on how you got your vehicles in the basement?

Some more clues on 'what you are doing' will be handy.

Here’s a picture of my work space. I will be using a compressor.
Originally Posted By: JC1
What fluid film are you using? The small Areosol cans or one of the one gallon pails? What are you using to apply it and what are you applying it too?

For my application using the fluid film fun and wands, the product doesn't drip and for the most part it doesn't release a mist into the air.

You won't like the smell in your basement.

I’ll have the basement door open to help with ventilation. Want to coat the truck first and foremost, then possibly the car. I’ll prob throw a tarp over some of the belongings. I have a 8 gal compressor and the fluid film pro kit with 360 wand and extension

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I'd look at the solvents involved. I like Fluid Film, but I believe it's intended use is in a well ventilated / outdoor environment. Using it indoors will lead to a concentration of solvent vapors and odor.

They say it’s non toxic, but what does that really mean...

It’s like applying any other spray - there will be overspray and it will travel several feet.

But there is NO WAY I would apply it indoors. The lanolin makes it smell like sheep, and the smell was strong on my truck for days afterwards. Applied in an enclosed basement, it would be awful.

Last edited:
Last year I applied fluid film using an 8 gallon compressor. It was doable but a pain. This year I used a 20 gallon and that was much better. With an 8 gallon, you will be constantly waiting to build pressure.

Originally Posted By: pda1122
Will it make a cloud and cover all my valuables with corrosion preventative?

Yes, it will cover everything. I did my cars outside and I had to wash them afterwards because the overspray cloud gets on the body and glass. Fluid film will get on everything in a 20ft or so radius. I applied with a 10 gallon compressor and the Fluid Film "pro" gun. Worked like a charm and the compressor kept up very well. I sprayed at around 40 psi.

I like the smell myself, so I wouldn't mind a basement smelling like it instead of a typical basementy smell.
grin.gif

I can't stand the smell of the aerosol. It bothers me, and quick. I think I must have gassed myself the first time I used it or something.

I wouldn't use it indoors, as overspray is bound to go everywhere. I usually do it on grass, and put on a painters suit while at it.

I wouldn’t do it for all the reasons above plus if your furnace is nearby that stuff will be going all throughout the house not to mention the flammability issue.

I don't use it at all anymore. For all the reasons above, and the soot and sand mess under the truck it creates. Working underneath your vehicles will be miserable, a messy sooty sand in your eyes nightmare. Gotta be super careful jacking the vehicles up, they gonna be slippery. Doesn't last very long in splash areas. Now i use a combination of cavity wax, rustoleum and corroseal rust converters, then some type of covering depending on location. its dry and clean under there. The cost is approx the same.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

But there is NO WAY I would apply it indoors. The lanolin makes it smell like sheep, and the smell was strong on my truck for days afterwards. Applied in an enclosed basement, it would be awful.

+1

This stuff gets everywhere even with just the aerosol can. You better be ready to take a shower right after it too, not later that night, so if you're working on other stuff do it before you do the fluid film so you can take one big nice hot shower after you spray the FF or you're going to have it all over you.

I fluid filmed an old Toyota Tacoma with the pro gun and an ancient 5 gallon " horrible freight " air compressor. I did it outdoors with the truck up on blocks. The job took a couple hours because the compressor was running constantly. The overspray drifted a good 10 feet. If possible, I would do this outdoors. If you gotta spray indoors, maybe use a stapler and hang construction plastic or paint drop cloths from floor to ceiling? My truck still has a heavy smell after a month. Not objectionable, but there.

Also, use a bigger compressor than I did, it was tedious waiting for the pressure to catch up.

Last edited:
I really wish FF would just make a version without their scent. The sheep odor is there regardless so if it's gonna stink then just let it stink like 1 odor, not 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back