Applied Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 to my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice, although I'm a little skeptical about the time saving given the amount of prep that you did. I'm a little skeptical as to how something like that holds up over time. After all, its basically like putting another clear coat on your car in the back yard.

Rode in the back seat of a Prius a couple of months ago. I was shocked at the room and comfort it had back there. I had assumed it was really a two seater with a token rear seat to help mileage. Was I ever wrong. If I drove enough to jusify it, I would consider something like that.

You have a point there. Even the rock hard clears (Ceramic) on some of the high price vehicles do not maintain their scratch free finish. It is indeed difficult to believe that a "backyard clear coat" will be superior to that.

Besides anybody who thinks TheCritic will leave this thing alone for couple of years can buy a nice bridge from me anytime :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Looks nice, although I'm a little skeptical about the time saving given the amount of prep that you did. I'm a little skeptical as to how something like that holds up over time. After all, its basically like putting another clear coat on your car in the back yard.

Rode in the back seat of a Prius a couple of months ago. I was shocked at the room and comfort it had back there. I had assumed it was really a two seater with a token rear seat to help mileage. Was I ever wrong. If I drove enough to jusify it, I would consider something like that.

The car does stay cleaner for much longer. It has been more than 5 days since I washed the car, and the paint is almost as clean as a freshly washed car. Previously, the paint sealant would have attracted a ton of road grime by now.

The coating does add thickness to the clearcoat. I too, am skeptical that it's permanent, but if I can get a couple of years out of it I'd be content. The stuff is $70/syringe, but I only used 1/3rd for this car - so it's a $23 experiment for me. I spent more than that on dinner last night.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You have a point there. Even the rock hard clears (Ceramic) on some of the high price vehicles do not maintain their scratch free finish. It is indeed difficult to believe that a "backyard clear coat" will be superior to that.

The purpose of the product is to keep the car cleaner and to protect it -- not provide scratch resistance. Yes, the coating is harder than the OEM clearcoat, but that was not the primary purpose.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Critic - you are very dedicated to over maintenance. While I'd hate to feel the need to treat my vehicles the same, I'd love to buy a used vehicle from an owner like you.

That's true! Just imagine what he's going to be like when he's one of those 70 year old men who do nothing but take care of their vehicles.
wink.gif

@Critic: I think it's time that you buy yourself a brand new G37. I'll tell you what options and colour I - I mean you - want. Drive it a couple years then sell it to me. You'll get to take good care of it, I won't have to buy a used car from a fool, and I won't take the hit on depreciation.
wink.gif

At his usual rate, the car is already ready for yet another car wash! I wonder how that is going to turn out.

The paint sealant I used which car dealers use had teflon which makes the surface slippery. One test is to put a rag on the hood and it should slde off easily. Dust and water drops slide off so less washing which is a good thing. Dealers would take one day to do the job but I don't agree on that. You need two days for a good complete sealant. Also the sealant gave a rock hard surface very much like the Opti-Coat.

BUT it's the UV that will degrade the sealant just like the clearcoat. There is no product here that I'm aware of since the UV is more intense that can last
The best bet long term is to keep the vehicle out of the sun. Unless a new product on the market that can block 100% UV that's the product I would be interested in.

One draw back on the sealant I used was there was a shelf life of 3-6 months for ultimate effectiveness. A 12 oz bottle at $40 promotion price which I paid for could do 5-6 brand new vehicles with two thin coats. Dealers price was $120 applying one coat if I recalled and that was actually a good price for them.

Newer the vehicle that came off the lot less damage to the clear coat. If the vehicle was older than 1 year all warranty was off which applied to most professional detailers.

But basically no product could really back their warranty because the UV is more intense here, there was no way it could last 5 years. It's a gimmick car salesman use to sell paint sealant that will protect your paint for 5 years? Many aren't aware of this when purchasing a new vehicle. Maybe possibly up north were UV intensity is not as strong.

^ I think some of these harder and polymerizing/solids-containing coatings (especially those with Sio2 and other things in them) will attenuate UV. So they may well protect. Other minerals in nano form have been known to protect too, remember the UV resistant lycra sold for batining suits a few years back as a "breakthrough"?

Washed the car today. As advertised, this stuff seems to do an amazing job of keeping the car clean. After one week, the car stayed much cleaner than usual.

All of the dust/dirt came off using a strong blast of the garden hose. During the wash process, the car wash soap would just roll off the paint. This is a bit surprising since the paint feels a tad grabby when it is dry.

So far, I only found two high spots. Even though it has been a week, I was able to "knock down" those two high spots with a MF towel and Meguiars M205. It took about 2-3 strokes and the high spot was gone. I may go back and re-coat those two areas for good measure.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the performance of Opti-Coat 2.0 so far.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

BUT it's the UV that will degrade the sealant just like the clearcoat. There is no product here that I'm aware of since the UV is more intense that can last

I would agree about the 1 year life. It does have some extra UV protection though.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is the most advanced polymer system that adds a permanent layer of clear coat over the automotive finishes.

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 provides better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, better chemical etch resistance, and has better release properties than factory clears. Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 therefore keeps your car clean longer and continues to bead water and sheds dirt for years.

Updates on the OC? I may want to go this route.

If it's not feeling as smooth, does it still bead water? If not, how do you know it's still there?

OC 2.0 on the paint, Opti-Glass Consumer on the windows:

While the coating does not add much gloss to the finish, it definitely makes maintenance a lot easier. Washing is made easier because contaminants no longer stick to the finish.

I am thinking about re-polishing the car and trying the newest version of CQuartz UK. As of late, I have been extremely impressed with CarPro's line-up and their commitment to the industry. I also coated my friend's Jeep Grand Cherokee with CQuartz UK last week and it added a tremendous amount of gloss to the paint.

What about if you care more about protection, less about gloss?

I'm assuming I can always topcoat with carnauba or something for gloss... It just prevents the worries of a lack of protection... I suppose...

Good God Critic, you just got done putting on a lifetime paint treatment and you're already considering polishing it off so you can try something else?
Jeezo....
I stand in awe....

Last edited:
Any pictures of the water beads on the horizontal surfaces? Like the roof, hood etc. Thanks Michael!

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Good God Critic, you just got done putting on a lifetime paint treatment and you're already considering polishing it off so you can try something else?
Jeezo....
I stand in awe....

Well, I do think my polishing skills now are better than they were 3 months ago, so I could make the car look even better!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Fly out to ohio, I'll put you up for a couple days. Treat you to Barberton chicken

250px-MilichChickenDinner.JPG

Pay for all the products.. and you can test them out on my forester :p

If I ever do a cross-country road trip, I'll put you in the itinerary.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Any pictures of the water beads on the horizontal surfaces? Like the roof, hood etc. Thanks Michael!

Next wash.

The Critic:
I car I OC2'd last summer got totaled this winter. So, in my experience, OC2 doesn't last long
wink.gif
I have some OC2 left, but afraid to touch my other cars.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Here are two videos that I made today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=208heyxREbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfu97QGxtv4

I also washed my car today using CarPro's Iron-X Snow Soap. I found that the soap really cleaned up the well, and restored the beading and sheeting action to a like-new state. I guess that after 5+ months, some contamination was starting to stick to the surface, but Iron-X Snow Soap removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back