Applications for Redline Sl-1 vs Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) The Accord (in signature below)--never used a fuel additive. I put a lot of highway miles on and buy gas wherever has the best coffee. Would Redline be the best to start using--full bottle initially and then maint doses?
2) The 4Runner--high miles, probably never had a fuel treatment, runs good but occasional rough idle (and of course poor mileage). Would Redline be a waist of money...at least until I've done the full Seafoam treatment (into vacuum hose, etc)? Is there any potential harm in doing a strong Seafoam treatment to such a high mileage (and potentially dirty) engine?

I would try one or two treatments of SI-1 before resorting to something as harsh as Seafoam.

I run a single bottle through my cars just before every oil change, which is about every 5k/9 mo. Coupled with good gas the car runs perfectly.

That would be easy enough. The Honda is coming up on an oil change, so I'll start there. Just changed the two Toyota's, so I guess I'll wait a bit on them.
Even though it could probably stand a good cleaning, I'm just a little leery to go messing with the 4R and it's 188k. You're probably right in starting with the Redline. Thanks.

I do seafoam in the tank every other oil change to keep everything clean...as far as the 4runner you may just need new injectors becuase at that point i rarely see the seafoam or any cleaner really work the accord you should start it and do it every 6k miles

Originally Posted By: lukejo
1) The Accord (in signature below)--never used a fuel additive. I put a lot of highway miles on and buy gas wherever has the best coffee. Would Redline be the best to start using--full bottle initially and then maint doses?
2) The 4Runner--high miles, probably never had a fuel treatment, runs good but occasional rough idle (and of course poor mileage). Would Redline be a waist of money...at least until I've done the full Seafoam treatment (into vacuum hose, etc)? Is there any potential harm in doing a strong Seafoam treatment to such a high mileage (and potentially dirty) engine?

You can give either product a shot if the injectors are really plugged up effecting performance you might need to have them professionally cleaned. Check out Trav's site Hurst Injector Service, he's a site sponsor and won't steer you wrong. HTH

Just clean the throttle body/plate on the truck.I think that is going to solve poor idle problem.

dparm wrote: "something as harsh as Seafoam"

How is SeaFoam harsh? Based on the msds, it is essentially pale oil, naptha, and rubbing alcohol. It seems to be about as harsh as Sta-Bil.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/component/option,com_rokdownloads/Itemid,42/view,folder/

STP now has released their own "Seafoam killer" and they seem to be telling everyone alcohol is bad for combustion, etc......sure, maybe if you're using it every fill it, but every 5k miles, per the can directions, I can't see much harm :p Kinda curious what STPs Multipurpose Additive contains.....

On the bottle, they mention using it in the motor oil, same as Seafoam :p BUT they do not recommend running it for 3k like Seafoam.......STP has directions on the bottle of running the car at idle for 10 minutes, prior to the oil change....similar to the classic "flush products"....

Thinking the STP is more "oil based" than the Seafoam....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back