Apples: which do you like?

Originally Posted by gregk24
Jazz. Not sure exactly what they are, does anybody know?

They're VERY sweet and crispy! So sweet they taste like candy!

Honeycrisp - but only when grown in the proper climate. Honeycrisp's were developed by the University of Minnesota, and were developed here. You can easily taste a difference between MInnesota grown ones and ones from places like Washington. Even the color of the apple is off when grown in other climates.

After Honeycrisp, depends on the time of the year. Haralson in late fall, Zestar in early fall. Otherwise, I tend to eat Braeburns...

Granny Smith and Honeycrisp but living in rural New Mexico it is hard to find good apples. HEB in Texas has better apples in their dumpster than the ones our stores buy.

Honeycrisp -ever since as a younger fella being it was locally developed and sold here in Minnesota 50+ years ago.

I grew up craving Red Delicious, and Mom never bought them because they were too expensive. So given a choice I love good big ones. The other apples I like, and cook with Johnathan, given a coice for eating, I pick Red Delicious.

Yorks are the best. Ugly, twisted shaped but oh, so delicious. Hard to get.

Based on what I'm reading, I'm gonna try some Honeycrisp.

Last edited:
A great big Rome or Cortland is impossible to beat.
If you're not near an orchard where they're grown you'll never see a big one.
Bagged Cortlands, a great apple for eating and cooking, are small like Macs.

Sweet Tangos have come on like a "house a fire" bumping Honeycrisps out of the spotlight.

Red Delicious apples appear to me to have been developed for photo shoots. They're rock hard and have little flavor.
Put a stamp on one and sent it to Alaska. It'll arrive unbruised.

I grew up next to an apple orchard so I'm an expert (ah-hem).

Back