Apples: which do you like?

Sweet Tango ripens earlier than a Honeycrisp - that's actually why they were developed. Its a Hybrid of a Honeycrisp and a Zestar (which is an earlier season apple).

Around here, the Sweet Tango didn't push the Honeycrisp out of the spotlight - just provided another good early season apple for orchards. They ripen about 3 weeks earlier than Honeycrisps. They also store better than other early season apples - but for me, there are so many good late season apples why bother?

The good news is the licensing on the Sweet Tango is much more strict - meaning that the variation you now see in Honeycrisps should not be as much of an issue with this variety.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
The good news is the licensing on the Sweet Tango is much more strict - meaning that the variation you now see in Honeycrisps should not be as much of an issue with this variety.

Good point. I noticed the Michigan grown honecrisp taste different from the Washington ones.

I found honey crisp apples for 1.99 a lb. the other day. Man, they are the best tasting eating apples I’ve found. Firm flesh, crunchy skin. After slicing I swipe them with a freshly cut lemon for an additional slight tartness. Not for everybody(but what is?) but believe me if you’re a apple fan they’re worth a try. YMMV.

My favorite all-around apple for eating and baking is the Jonathan. It can be a little hard to find. I also love the Jonagold. I like the texture of the Honeycrisp but its flavor doesn't do anything for me. Fuji and Kiku are alright. Granny Smith is great for baking. The Boskoop is also great.

Last edited:
Granny Smith here. Never cared for sweeter apples unless it’s in apple pie. Red Delicious are ok but still not better than the Granny Smith.

Red Delicious
Washington
And the sweet reddish-brown ones... Almost Golden ?

Back