Apple workers at Maryland store vote to unionize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple workers at Maryland store vote to unionize​

It seems pointless to unionize at these "transient" type jobs at an Apple store or a Starbucks. Isn't the majority of the staff only working for a few months selling lattes and MacBooks between semesters? Maybe some people consider it a career, especially management, but it seems like a moot point for your base employee to pay union dues and be gone in 3 months.

Morons. People seem to forget what the original intent of unions was, unions themselves have become nothing more that a cash grab.

Not only forgetting the original intent, but also the corruption and complete uncaring management happy to halt work and pay while they still get paid " fighting for the workers".

There are a few good ones in the trades, but not many.

+1 Spot on! Originally they fought for won better and safer working conditions for workers, better wages and eliminating company script instead of cash so workers could only shop at company stores and live in company sponsored housing, stopping child labor. All good things but those days are long gone and so should the unions be IMO, Osha and wage laws have taken those things over.

Not one safety guard in place and imaging your kids working in this.

children-factory-workers.jpg

old factory.jpg

It will be interesting. With what the CEOs are being paid why not share the corps wealth.

Last edited:
I've worked unions jobs all my life and have benefited greatly from doing so. I was able to retire at 52 years old with a defined benefit pension for the rest of my life with health insurance and will have a second pension from my first job kick in at 62 and then be able to draw social security ( although at a reduced rate due to the fire department pension).
A union contract is a document btwn the worker and the employer as to how things are done. Both sides have to live up to the terms.

Unions were good and did good things at one time, today it is just a political activist group and organized crime nothing more or less.

Agreed, pretty much a group of adult crybabies who like to fight over "seniority." Basically, legalized motorcycle gangs. Not to even mention their mascot when a business decides to not use union labor; because nothing says childish quite like a big inflatable rat and holding a sign that says "I wasn't chosen."

Our local UPS hub has a guy that's been caught drinking on the job (package driver so literally drinking while driving) three times. He gets fired and then rehired. Just waiting for the day he causes a fatal accident. No lessons will be taught though, cause union.

Another one caught smoking pot while on the job, delivering packages. All he had to say was "I need help," goes to 30-day paid rehab, then rinse,wash, and repeat.

Agreed, pretty much a group of adult crybabies who like to fight over "seniority." Basically, legalized motorcycle gangs. Not to even mention their mascot when a business decides to not use union labor; because nothing says childish quite like a big inflatable rat and holding a sign that says "I wasn't chosen."

Our local UPS hub has a guy that's been caught drinking on the job (package driver so literally drinking while driving) three times. He gets fired and then rehired. Just waiting for the day he causes a fatal accident. No lessons will be taught though, cause union.

Another one caught smoking pot while on the job, delivering packages. All he had to say was "I need help," goes to 30-day paid rehab, then rinse,wash, and repeat.
The job of the union is to make sure the termination processes are followed. Do not blame the union when UPS is unable/unwilling to follow the rules to the strict letter of a contract.

The job of the union is to make sure the termination processes are followed. Do not blame the union when UPS is unable/unwilling to follow the rules to the strict letter of a contract.

And not following it to a T makes it okay to rehire a person with a known drinking and driving issue? I'd hope common sense would overrule that.

It seems pointless to unionize at these "transient" type jobs at an Apple store or a Starbucks. Isn't the majority of the staff only working for a few months selling lattes and MacBooks between semesters? Maybe some people consider it a career, especially management, but it seems like a moot point for your base employee to pay union dues and be gone in 3 months.
I was just telling my friend at work today about this subject and told him pretty much word for word what you wrote. I’m in the machinist union and I think it’s worthless for these high turnover jobs to become union. The only people it helps is the “insert new union name here”.

Especially Starbucks. I already seen them shut down a store in one shopping center then build a new one right down the street. Do they keep the same internal store number or is it a new store with a new internal number?

And not following it to a T makes it okay to rehire a person with a known drinking and driving issue? I'd hope common sense would overrule that.
Again they are protecting the process. You or I do not know if they were drinking or driving. That is why the processes must be followed. Very much like the criminal justice system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back