Apple Timecapsule, Ethernet Ports, EERO Pro6 Router

I have been DSL for years at 25Mbps with old iMacs, iPhones, ROKU, iPads, Time Capsules, etc.

My son just upgraded to 150 Mbps in his home and using an EERO Pro6. I am very impressed. I am getting 2 new
iMacs and need to dump my 2 Time Capsules and do some upgrading. I have Cat6 run to all TVs and Rokus and iMacs
and printers. I am gonna get the same service he has and use the EERO Pro6 as well. That service is around $100/month
vs my $49 for DSL. We only have 1 true broad band service in my town.

In eliminating the Time Capsule, I am eliminating my daily auto back up.

1.What do you suggest use for my backup now? Both computers are used for work.

2. My longest Cat6 run is 50 feet of which there are 13 total. Most are around 25-30 feet. Do the different Ethernet Network Boxes
mean much to me in my situation? Do I need a powered box? It will be in my heated basement.

I don't want the cheapest setup. I do like things to last.

Check out this mess....

Attachments

• IMG_5330.JPG
    IMG_5330.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5329.jpg
    IMG_5329.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5324.jpg
    IMG_5324.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5328.JPG
    IMG_5328.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 21
I am gonna get the same service he has and use the EERO Pro6 as well. That service is around $100/month
vs my $49 for DSL. We only have 1 true broad band service in my town.
I was paying $46/mo for very slow (about 3 Mbps) DSL, and recently switched to 300/300 Mbps fiber from TDS. Now paying $39/mo (includes EERO router lease).

You wanna move to rural VA? LOL

It’s a little pricey here, huh?

There are few topics in macOS which appear as difficult and sometimes insoluble as making Time Machine backups to network storage, such as a NAS. Some can’t even see their shared storage as a destination for their backups, others wonder whether the new option to back up to APFS is any better than their existing HFS+ backups, and many find backups slowing to a crawl for many hours or even days at a time. This article provides some pointers which I hope lead to resolution of at least some of those problems.

These arise because of the complexity of the backup chain when using network storage, compared with that using local disks.

The Ethernet standard calls for operation over up to 100 meters (approximately 340 feet) of cable. Any switch will meet that standard thus 60 feet of cable is no problem. "Powered" or PoE switches don't transmit data any more powerfully, they are still limited to 100 meters.

What they do though is simultaneously supply DC power on the same wiring to devices that are designed to receive their operating voltage via Power Over Ethernet. There is then no need to have a separate source of power at the device, it is included with the network connection. This simplifies installation greatly. Since the amount of power that can be delivered is limited, PoE devices are usually lower power applications like security cameras, WiFi access points, and telephones.

Any suggestions for backing up my data? Any new tricks?

I'm in a similar situation, for now i just plug the time capsule in occasionally and back up to it... I might even be able to spend some time and configure it as NAS... figure i will save that for new mac books that are probably not in the too distant future...

@Gebo
You can still hook up your Time Capsule to your network and just disable the wifi in the Airport Utility app. You should have some sort of other back up system in place, preferable off site.

You can get a 1 or 2 drive NAS and partition the harddrive so it's 1 reduddant time machine backup and 1 byte level backup using something like carbon copy clone. Synology or QNAP are the best brands. You want a drive that is at least 4x the size of your computer's hard drive so you have space for both back ups and incremental changes.

For offsite, there are a bunch of services like backblaze or if your more technical you can set up your own amazon aws system.

Hope this helps!

Back