Apple Care+ Compared to BestBuy insurance (Geek Squad?) for MacBook Air

I'm going to replace a MacBook Air that my daughter has had for several years. BestBuy and Apple.com are probably the places I'll buy it from. I know BestBuy gave me great warranty service when I had problems with a microwave--they gave me cash value without even opening up the original box that I brought the microwave in. But of course, getting a computer repaired and warrantied is a different creature.

I would like to provide some additional support for the laptop beyond the OEM warranty. This laptop will accompany my daughter to college, and if the one we have now is any indication, this will have no problem finishing out her senior year of HS and then her Bachelor's degree. I'd like to get her some type of insurance policy for repairs or drinks poured onto the keyboard, etc.

Does anyone have any experience taking laptops to AppleCare or to BestBuy for warranty work?

I've never had it but from I've read from others, Apple and/or their reps are extremely liberal when it comes to taking care of things when you paid for AppleCare. I don't know what their rules are, or what Best Buy's are, but you want to see what they cover when it comes to accidental or "user" damage vs just being a warranty extension that only covers defects.

I've never had it but from I've read from others, Apple and/or their reps are extremely liberal when it comes to taking care of things when you paid for AppleCare. I don't know what their rules are, or what Best Buy's are, but you want to see what they cover when it comes to accidental or "user" damage vs just being a warranty extension that only covers defects.
All good points - I would add that OP might want to review the two coverage plans and see if there are differences with respect to downtime during a repair, as well as options for a loaner during service. Being without a computer for weeks on end would be difficult for a student these days.

I just chatted with BB customer service, and they told me that the AppleCarePlus they offer is the same coverage as their GeekSquad protection plan.

All good points - I would add that OP might want to review the two coverage plans and see if there are differences with respect to downtime during a repair, as well as options for a loaner during service. Being without a computer for weeks on end would be difficult for a student these days.

Agree with you, although right now I am using that to mean that I should just go with Apple, unless I can get a significant discount from BB.

From what I saw, the Apple buyback for the current MacBook Air that my daughter has, will be $140-150 more than BB's buyback offer, so BB would have to start with a much lower price to compete, since the Geek squad warranty will not be better.

Did you ship it back to apple, or just take your product to a local authorized service provider? And what product what is?

Apple care is great. I had a great experience with them.....

Double check the fine print.

Apple Care is transferable, something that can really boost resale value if you sell within the 3 years that it's active.

Also, Apple Care gets you service at any Apple store, and Geek Squad presumably ties you to Best Buy.

My goal is that this new one will take her through college, which including senior year of HS would be five years, so no resale. But that is nice to know, in the event we win the lottery. :)

Double check the fine print.

Apple Care is transferable, something that can really boost resale value if you sell within the 3 years that it's active.

Also, Apple Care gets you service at any Apple store, and Geek Squad presumably ties you to Best Buy.

Did you ship it back to apple, or just take your product to a local authorized service provider? And what product what is?
You take it into the Apple Store or a Apple-authorized servicer and they’ll do the repairs on-site or send it to Apple’s Austin, TX complex for more complex ones.

I wouldn't even mess around with Geek Squad. If you have an issue, you know AppleCare will fix it and fix it correctly.

Back