apologies in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this this morning, after being annoyed at "nukular" for the millionth time.

quote:

Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing. He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed in an accident'

"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"

He goes pale, drops his head into his hands and bawls uncontrollably for a while.

His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, particularly given that over 2,000 american soldiers have been killed in Iraq...nervously watching as the president sits, head in hands.

Finally, the President looks up and asks..........''How many is a brazillion ??!'

Yes, that IS a Blonde joke.

The pronunciation of the word "Nuclear" in the US reflects the local dielect, not of the intelligence of the person pronouncing the word.

If you pronounce it fast with a Southern dialect, it does come out NOO-KLER.

The dictionary pronunciation is actually, "NOO-KLEE-ERR."

I mean, "Aye Mate" actually is "High or Hey Mate" a greeting, but I don't make fun of Ozzies pronunciations. I work with some "Down-Under" engineers and they are sharp people.

Be thankful you didn't catch all the east-coaster Rita-reporters murdering town names in East Texas and Louisianna....

Here ya go Shannow. This should help put you back in a good mood.

-

Just think how it might have been...

grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

The pronunciation of the word "Nuclear" in the US reflects the local dielect, not of the intelligence of the person pronouncing the word.

I mean, "Aye Mate" actually is "High or Hey Mate" a greeting, but I don't make fun of Ozzies pronunciations. I work with some "Down-Under" engineers and they are sharp people.

Molakule,
never heard it as a blonde joke.
Thanks for the info on southern dialects.

As to sharp Ozzie engineers, they will be a dying race.

Our latest intake of graduates (into the power industry) can't explain the relationship between stress and strain, calculate hoop stress in a pipe, chemically balance the combustion of iso-octane and work out how much water they get out of it, nor explain the Brayton or Rankine cycles.

They can however do CFD and FEA.

Regards

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:

quote:

Molakule,
never heard it as a blonde joke.
Thanks for the info on southern dialects.

As to sharp Ozzie engineers, they will be a dying race.

Our latest intake of graduates (into the power industry) can't explain the relationship between stress and strain, calculate hoop stress in a pipe, chemically balance the combustion of iso-octane and work out how much water they get out of it, nor explain the Brayton or Rankine cycles.

Regards

but do they know how many a brazilian is?

quote:

I hear you. Current engineers put too faith in these tools without an innate feeling of why and how the basic structural theory and mechanics works.

If they cannot do the hand calcs to verify the CFD and FEA results, how do they know the tool's answers are correct?

quote:

quote:

I hear you. Current engineers put too faith in these tools without an innate feeling of why and how the basic structural theory and mechanics works.

If they cannot do the hand calcs to verify the CFD and FEA results, how do they know the tool's answers are correct?

My experiance has been that if they don't know enough to do the hand calcs, they don't know enough to set up the boundry conditions correctly and you get GIGO with a bunch of pretty colored stress and strain plots that management unfortunately belives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back