API SP rating announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by addyguy
I like the idea of a completely different marking to set 0W-16 oils apart from other grades. Good job API.

The new API SP oils still won't be marketed for another full year, LOL. SN has been around for, what, 10+ years now?

Is API SN the longest-running classification?

True, but API SN+ is the newer that SN line. SP? Make me wonder what happened to SO.

Originally Posted by TiredTrucker
Originally Posted by addyguy
I like the idea of a completely different marking to set 0W-16 oils apart from other grades. Good job API.

The new API SP oils still won't be marketed for another full year, LOL. SN has been around for, what, 10+ years now?

Is API SN the longest-running classification?

True, but API SN+ is the newer that SN line. SP? Make me wonder what happened to SO.

I and O look too much like 1 and 0, so I and O aren't used - pretty much industry standard nomenclature practice. Not sure why they didn't use K.

I remember API said that SI got skipped because of the SI units.

I'm not sure about SK but I'm thinking it's because of SK Energy. I had thought it could be because of Slovakia but that's not it.

I don't know why SO got skipped.

'Note: The letters "SI" and "SK" have been omitted from the sequence of letter designators for API Service Categories because of their common association with other organizations or systems.'

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I remember API said that SI got skipped because of the SI units.

I'm not sure about SK but I'm thinking it's because of SK Energy. I had thought it could be because of Slovakia but that's not it.

'Note: The letters "SI" and "SK" have been omitted from the sequence of letter designators for API Service Categories because of their common association with other organizations or systems.'

In my day job, I write and edit technical publications and we skip the revision letters " I, O, Q, S and Z" because they can sometimes be confused by the end users as numbers at first glance.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
New and improved but you never get a guarantee this oil will give your car 50,000 more miles of life?

Indeed, because motor oil is responsible for the service life of everything else on your vehicle which can break.
cool.gif

Originally Posted by Gokhan

Is that S "oh" or S "zero" ? That's why they skip the letter "O" (and others - Hootbro explains more).

Remember, consider someone that's not very familiar with API designations. Just because you know it's two letters doesn't mean everyone else does.

Originally Posted by MrMoody
So, no SO?
smile.gif

SO looks too much like S0.. so maybe they skipped it to avoid confusion? I don't think there's an SI oil rating either.

EDIT - Guess I should have read down further before I replied
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Wait until someone dumps 0w16 in a Euro car that specs 5w40
15.gif

I came across a guy who was complaining about how horrible Rotella Gas Truck 0w-20 is in his Subaru, I asked him what he used it in. He said he put it in a 2016 STi and it screwed up his main bearings.

I asked him why he didn't use the required 5w-30 or even a heavier 5w-40 like many do with good results? No answer.

Odd that SP comes out so soon after SN+. I guess that is why SN+ was not called SP, they new it was going to be a short time between the 2, so no need to have SP be out for only 2 years before being replaced.

Another question, am I the only one that as soon as I saw this thought "Awesome, when SP comes out, all the SN+ oils will be clearanced out"?
So lets keep an eye out in June 2020 for another round of $2/qt synthetic oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back