API SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that ILSAC-GF5 is out early on Ultra and the new Pennzoil conventional but I have a question. I understand that they are dis-agreeing with the automakers about the standards of SN and have scheduled a re-vote. What happens if they can't come to an agreement? Are we stuck with SM?

Good question - I thought the two more or less went hand-in-hand.

Would love to know what happens if they can't 'agree' on API SN.....

They're not supposed to be released until October so hopefully they can come to an agreement. Kudos to Pennzoil for coming out early on GF-5 on two of their products.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I know that ILSAC-GF5 is out early on Ultra and the new Pennzoil conventional

What do you mean by this? Are you saying PU and PYB already meet GF5 specs?

Yes, Ultra and the new conventional which cleans 40% of sludge already meet or exceed ILSAC GF-5. It says so right on the bottle.

That does not mean it is officially approved as a gf5 oil......it isnt.More hyped marketing.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Yeah does anyone have a link?

Lube Report 3/24

Lube Report 3/31

"As originally balloted, SN and SN Resource Conserving drew heavy fire from U.S. automakers, some of whom threatened to withdraw all support for API S-category oils if they were issued as written."

"Some key sticking points remain for the committee to consider, including revisions OEMs have suggested for SN requirements, API engine oil licensing manager Kevin Ferrick told Lube Report. These include adding an 800ppm phosphorus limit, requiring the TEOST 33C test for high-temperature deposits, and testing emulsion retention in all SN oil viscosities. In response to OEM comments about the initial SN ballot, API suggested adding elastomer compatibility into the SN requirements, too."

"There are compelling reasons why an Oct. 1 first-licensing date is advantageous for API SN. Products meeting the new ILSAC GF-5 category also will launch on that date, and the cost of converting product labels, sales material, specification sheets and websites to reflect the change will cost lubricant marketers millions of dollars. No company relishes the idea of repeating all that effort a few weeks or months later, just to reflect an SN upgrade alone."

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: qship1996
That does not mean it is officially approved as a gf5 oil......it isnt.More hyped marketing.

Who are these officials you speak of?

Wrong, it has been approved but the licenses will not be released until October 1. Then it can be officially listed in the spec. Shell would not have put that on the label the way they did if it had not been formulated, tested, and approved.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

Shell would not have put that on the label the way they did if it had not been formulated, tested, and approved.

Are you Shells official spokesperson????? Just because you worked there in some capacity it the past does not make you a final word in the current {or past} business practices of the company....

Well, all I can suggest for you is to put me on your ignore list and don't read my post. And for your information I do not speak from the past. I still have personal contacts at Shell. One of the benefits of making friends for the 22+ years I worked there.

Good night and have a great weekend.

I for one appreciate Johnny, and the wisdom and knowledge he brings here. He is a very reliable source for oil info in general, and SOPUS info in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back