Apartment maintenance test?

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a higher paying job as an apartment maintenance tech. The two ladies that I interviewed with said that I sound mechanically inclined enough to pass the entry apartment maintenance tech exam. I'm finding practice tests all over varying in degrees of difficulty. Has anyone on here ever taken such a test? The apartment complex doesn't have a study guide so I've been looking online. Any suggestions appreciated.

I took a mechanical aptitude test when I worked at a WalMart warehouse and applied for a building maintenance position. It was mostly reading wiring diagrams and which way does this gear turn in this set up. They said it was a 20% pass rate for people who had taken the test there. There were two people that passed out of the 16 I took it with. Myself and a guy who had previously worked in maintenance there. I know two guys who worked maintenance there and one took it 3 times and the other 4 before passing. My automotive experience made the wiring diagrams very familiar.

Maybe knowing building codes in the area where you might work, basic electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing, fire protection safety / NFPA, etc...

Good luck. What are you currently doing for employment ?

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a higher paying job as an apartment maintenance tech. The two ladies that I interviewed with said that I sound mechanically inclined enough to pass the entry apartment maintenance tech exam. I'm finding practice tests all over varying in degrees of difficulty. Has anyone on here ever taken such a test? The apartment complex doesn't have a study guide so I've been looking online. Any suggestions appreciated.

What city are you in ?

Maybe know the building code(s) in your area and what they test for in exam.

Last edited:
Also look into being a hotel "engineer." It's one of those well paying semi-interesting hands-on jobs nobody knows about.

I'm actually in the process of trying to find different work. Maintenance isn't what I'm into let alone the terrible pay and on-call every other week. A previous job placement associate threw me into this as it was convenient for her as her roommate was a property manager at a neighboring property. My degree is in journalism and aviation management. I've enlisted two newer guys that seem to want to help.

I'm actually in the process of trying to find different work. Maintenance isn't what I'm into let alone the terrible pay and on-call every other week. A previous job placement associate threw me into this as it was convenient for her as her roommate was a property manager at a neighboring property. My degree is in journalism and aviation management. I've enlisted two newer guys that seem to want to help.

How much are you looking to make per hour and what state are you in ?

Last edited:
I was making $25/hour working for Frontier Airlines. At least that if not more. Apartments are $1900-$4000 a month in Colorado. I'm looking at admin assistant, hotel management (which I have 7 years of hotel experience, and manager experience) .

With your hotel experience that’s your best bet since you have lots of knowledge of that industry.

Luckily lots of places are looking for help.

Back