AoA letter on engine sludge, 1.8t. Warranty extended to 8/yr & repairs reembursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, Audi is extending the engine warranties with reciepts of factory oil change intervals for 1.8t >'97. I guess API SG, SH, SJ and SL are assumed and owners did not skimp on $.84c SA/SB or SF Accel Brand oil. A list of VW 502-spec oil is enclosed with the letter. I'll post them later.

They say not to top-off with more than .5q of non-VW 502 oil.
They mention the expected viscosities, but 0w-30 is not includued. Jeez, a flyer printed JUST for oil and they neglect the viscosity that is the oem fill and probally best all-around for the 1.8t.
mad.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
dunno.gif

banghead.gif
thumbsdown.gif

They also neglect to mention that 503.01 is the latest LL-spec and should be prefered.
freak2.gif

[ August 06, 2004, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

I'd say your chances of collecting unless you had it done at an Audi dealer are probably pretty slim. If you did it yourself how do you prove to Audi's satisfaction you did it when it was specified? Even if you have receipts for oil and filters those receipts had better have the oil brand and grade and brand/type of filters . Also if you had an independent shop do it you better hope they listed an Audi approved oil and filters plus the miles on the receipt.

offtopic.gif
I know it's not Audi but it's from the VOA/AOA family. I had a 1985 Golf 5 speed I bought new with the 1.8L na engine. It ran like a champ for well over 100,000 miles with mostly 4,000-5,000 mile oil changes and later in it's life even longer OIC's
rolleyes.gif
, with "various" dino 10W-30 oils. It never sludged or burned any measurable oil and the car after 10 years still looked great after sitting outside through many snowy and salty NJ winters. The interior looked brand new still after 10 years. Why can't VW/Audi make a car that lasts relatively problem free now a days. Of course the current oil change interval is probably 10,000 miles and the oil spec'd for European oil standards and what's used in the US is "slightly" different to be kind
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
offtopic.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I had a 1985 Golf 5 speed I bought new with the 1.8L na engine.

Hey, I had one of those too. I guess great minds think alike.
grin.gif

It was a great car and I'm sorry I sold it
frown.gif
. I was such a dumb a*s
frown.gif
. I looked at a Jetta model year 1996 with the 2.0L and 5 speed manual tranny. And after driving that and a 1996 Ford Contour with the 2.0L Zetec and 5 speed I have to say the Ford was much better all around. That hurt because I bought new a 1972 Beetle, 1975 Rabbit, 1977 Rabbit and a 1985 Golf. I was a VW car fan. But by the MY 1996 their cars were know where near as good as the previous model years, even though the newer model years had more creature comforts. I guess more "modern" "ain't" always better.

Whimsey

VWAG really did drop the ball on the OCI and oil recommendations for the 1.8T.

Our '03 Passat 1.8T (with a 3.9 quart sump and 5k intervals) basically said anything 5W-30/5W-40 in at minimum API SL was suitable. I know even people following this minimum recommendation had sludge problems farther down the road.

The turbo on the 1.8T runs hot. Even on stock programming and normal driving you can pop the hood and see the turbo glowing (at night of course) after a drive.

Wimsey, you do not need to prove the oil on the reciepts meets any spec. That's what I meant by saying they assume it is SG, SH, SJ, SL.

Overseas, people probally know which oil to use and for how long without a lawyer's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back