Anywhere to buy clearance/discontinued engine oil cheap?

I take care of all the cars in the family, with the exception of warranty and recall work obviously, and I already have a huge stockpile of 5w30 for my mom's Honda and my Nissan, but I need to get some 0w20 on hand for my dad's truck because with how much he drives for work he basically gets a monthly oil change.

I'm wanting to know if there's anywhere I can buy some of the remaining stock of Magnatec 0w20 at a discounted rate, or if there is anywhere that has "clearance" or recently discontinued motor oil. I've seen some 6 quart and 12 quart cases of magnatec available on ebay and amazon but I am wondering if there is anywhere else worth checking out. Thanks

Last edited:
How many miles does your Dad drive a month?
I may have slightly exaggerated lol but the longest he's gone on one OCI is about 3 months. His truck is a 2019 and already has almost 100K miles on it. He does have a company truck but he prefers his personal rig and just gets reimbursed for the fuel/miles.

His usual daily commute is about 60 miles round trip but he has a couple other plants out of state that he has to routinely visit plus business trips and other things around town. Plus going out hunting, fishing etc etc.

I've suggested stretching out the OCIs to 8K and I've ran a Blackstone labs test on his truck to confirm that to him before but he prefers to go by the OLM and owners manual thats how he is.

I'd suggest Craigslist for local advertisements. Higher chance, than on a forum where nobody is in Idaho.
I forgot craigslist even existed but I'll keep an eye out there now. I've been watching Facebook Marketplace for some time now and that's where I've gotten most of the 5w30 I've had now but there's not a lot of 0w20 local to me

I may have slightly exaggerated lol but the longest he's gone on one OCI is about 3 months. His truck is a 2019 and already has almost 100K miles on it. He does have a company truck but he prefers his personal rig and just gets reimbursed for the fuel/miles.

His usual daily commute is about 60 miles round trip but he has a couple other plants out of state that he has to routinely visit plus business trips and other things around town. Plus going out hunting, fishing etc etc.

I've suggested stretching out the OCIs to 8K and I've ran a Blackstone labs test on his truck to confirm that to him before but he prefers to go by the OLM and owners manual thats how he is.

The amount of driving that your Dad is doing, just put in the 5W-30 you have from your huge stockpile of oil. So your dad is putting on 25K a year, he could probably get 10,000 miles an OCI out of Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30

The 5W-30 is going to be better for him than the 0W-20

How many miles does your Dad hold onto a car 4?

The amount of driving that your Dad is doing, just put in the 5W-30 you have from your huge stockpile of oil. So your dad is putting on 25K a year, he could probably get 10,000 miles an OCI out of Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30

The 5W-30 is going to be better for him than the 0W-20

How many miles does your Dad hold onto a car 4?
Honestly that question isn't possible to answer. Since I was a kid he's always leased his trucks and traded them in for a new one when his free ToyotaCare oil changes ran out :ROFLMAO: This truck is the first one he's bought outright. The only vehicle he's owned that has had higher miles than this one is his old 1999 4Runner that he bought at auction with a salvage title when I was a toddler.

@cwilliamsws6 I have to ask: how cheap do you want to go?
$5 per quart or less preferably

Also I'm weary about using a heavier oil in the Tacoma because the owners manual does say you can use 5w20 but only in emergency situations and it needs to be changed for 0w20 asap

Also I'm weary about using a heavier oil in the Tacoma because the owners manual does say you can use 5w20 but only in emergency situations and it needs to be changed for 0w20 asap
You can use whatever you want up to 15W-40 in that engine.

If you put in some effort and start searching around here you'll find many threads discussing viscosities.

I'm using 5W-30 in a Pentastar that calls for 0W-20.

Just use your 5W-30 stash and call it a day. You picked the worse time in history to look for good deal on oils.

You want one of the best widely available motor oils? Use Mobil 1.

Costco's Kirkland brand synthetic comes in 0W-20 and 5W-30 for a decent price. I try to buy it when they have the instant rebate a few times a year. AutoZone occasionally has closeout prices on oil, too, though the pickings have been slim the past few years.

You can use whatever oil you want up to a 5W-40 in the wintertime, and maybe a 15W-40 in the summer. A 5W-30 is going to be better in your Dad's car than a 0W-20

It would have to be very cold for a 0W-20 to pump better than a 5W-30

Not sure that you'll find a reliable place that has it available all the time that you need it.

What's wrong with Walmart Supertech, 5 quart, for $20-22 ? Supertech oil filters are rated for 10k miles and cost less then $4.

For what he's spending on gas you're worrying about small potatoes.

I bet he'd be happy to buy a 5 gallon bag/box, knowing it's for his use, but it's probably cheaper to get the Kirkland 2x 5 quart packages at Costco.

Otherwise watch the rebate section. When it rains it pours. I can't believe the people that see a deal then think there'll be another one in six months so they buy one or two OCI's worth. Living in a studio apartment's not an excuse. Put it under your bed or on top of the fridge.

Back